Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPOVSD 4.5 scaling

Highlighted
Jan Gunnar Helg

HPOVSD 4.5 scaling

Hi

We are experiencing a somewhat degrading performance in HPOVSD 4.5 running SP21. Symptoms such as searching is slow, saving/opening calls is slow. Loading views is slow.

Our details are as follows:
DB: MSSQL 2005
App server 1: Xenon 3ghz, 4gb RAM.
App server 2: Xenon 3ghz, 4gb RAM.

The load balancing vector is 1:4 favouring the latter.

We have aprox 170 connected application users at any given moment, with a total of 900 potential app users.

Our service calls are reaching 1 million tickets soon.

Should we be thinking of implementing a third application server?

Are there any other steps we can take to ensure acceptable performance.
6 REPLIES
Err_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HPOVSD 4.5 scaling

Hi,

I believe it is worth to ask...

Have you made the JVM tuning to optimize server's memory settings?

Instructions how to do this are in the Installation guide, look for "optimizing the memory settings".

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Jan Gunnar Helg

Thanks for the reply. We have done the following to try to increase the performance:

JVM memory settings:
This is now set to -Xms1024M -Xmx1356M

I read in another post that for 32bit Windows environment the max memory allocation is the above, can someone confirm this?

Here is the whole string for reference:

sd_serverservice.exe -install "hp OpenView service desk 4.5 server" DEFAULT -XX:MaxNewSize=512M -XX:NewSize=256M -Xms1024M -Xmx1356M -Djava.class.path="%SD_SERVERHOME%lib\classloader.jar" "-Duser.dir=%SD_SERVERHOME%\" -start com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -stop com.hp.startup.Bootstrap -method shutdown -params com.hp.ifc.bus.AppServer -current "%SD_SERVERHOME%\"

Purge cache enforced:
Added /purgecache to every users sd_client.ini file to enfore cache purging.

I've also attached a screenshot of a typical client benchmark which is also very good.
Michal Kovac
Frequent Visitor

Hi Jan,

ad java memory, yes, -Xmx1356M is IMHO maximum

ad third application server, on one physical box you can run several instances of HP OV SD application servers (see "Multiple Server Instances" in Administrator's_Guide.pdf, page 175)

ad reaching 1 million tickets, *this is IMHO root cause* of your performace issues, start think over Archiving (see under Tools/System/General/Archiving settings); note that there are also some limitations (especially according to relations) as you will probably see

Hope this help,
Michal
Jan Gunnar Helg

Thanks for more feedback.

Is there anything to be gained performance wize by adding another app server instance on the same physical server?

How much of the service calls should we archive? Is there an average top amount of calls to have in the live enviroment?
Jan Gunnar Helg

Has anyone tried to archive this large amount of data via the GUI?

I just did a test in our sandbox environment.. it did a whopping 1mb a minute. Our total prod DB size is 28GB... we are talking severals days here to finish :P
Ivan Sakharov
Frequent Visitor

Hi

From my experience: with minimum BD and UI-rules, without Sheduled tasks you have to make 1 app server to 50 active users. With many complex rules and sheduled tasks implemented you have to make 1 app for 30 or less active users.

You have 170 active users - try to make 4 app servers minimum. The good idea mentioned above is to make few instances of app servers per one physical server. I think your server will handle 4-5 app server instances with -Xms200M -Xmx700M for example.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event