Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Openview SC - New Field

Highlighted
Justice IT
Super Collector

HP Openview SC - New Field

I have added a new field called dept.name to the interactions form, it is linked to the contacts table which has a field called dept.name.

When I click on the fill button on the form to select a deptartment from the list, it brings back a list of the contact name, phone number, as well as the deptartment name which is the only field I am after.

The link in the incidents link file is simply, source field name, dept.name, target file name contacts and target field name dept.name.

Any ideas on what else is causing this?

Thanks.
11 REPLIES
Lars Detmers
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Openview SC - New Field

Hello,

I'm not sure, if I understood your problem.
Do you want to fill the deptartment of the contact or do you want to enter a department (or part of it) and select a contact from contacts with this department... Maybe you want to select a department from dept table, then you should use target file "dept" instead of "contacts"..

Can you please clarify?

Greets,

Lars
Justice IT
Super Collector

Ok, basically in the contacts table, there is a text field called dept.name

Which is why I have directed the source to point to the contacts table.

What I would like to do initially is, when I click on the fill button, I would like a list of departments to come up to choose from, then when I click on a department, it selects the department and shows the field on the page.

Hope this clears it up :)
Lars Detmers
Honored Contributor

Hi,

in this case you need to point the link to the dept table.

Lars
Justice IT
Super Collector

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your input, that worked.

However, when I select the field from the table, it isn't storing the field in the combo box... is there anyway to store a single field in the box?

It may be because the dept table actually has a fair few fields, ie. department, department id, structure, parent department (for each department) etc?...

Lars Detmers
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you have a com/fill field there, right? Fill and combo box are independent. You need a "dynamic select" or a global list (globallists table) for this combo box. Regarding dynamic select check the format "dep.g" and check how it is done in design mode (this is a format to show "Dynamic View Dependency" functionality.

HTH

Lars
Justice IT
Super Collector

Yes, it's a comfill in there at the moment. I will create the global list. I will also check dep.g for other settings.

Thanks.
Lars Detmers
Honored Contributor

Hi,

due to performance reasons you should avoid combo boxes if there is a huge amount of entries in the list.....

Lars
Justice IT
Super Collector

Hi,

I now have a link in probsummary which is allowing me to populate the comfill box and also save it. input for comfill is dept1, link for this is

source field name - dept1
target file name - dept
target field name - dept.full.name
add query - $query

When I replicate this link into the incidents table, it will show the populated list in comfill, but the box will not fill?

Any ideas?
Lars Detmers
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what did you enter in link line details? There you need to define what fields should be copied from dept table to your current format...

Lars
Justice IT
Super Collector

Hi,

I've actually recreated the link, and a new global list, and the com/fill still isn't filling.

Is there a better way to have it select a fill without using a comfill if the list is large?

Thanks.
John Stagaman
Honored Contributor

On the link line detail page where link expressions, etc. can be entered, you need to specify in the table below the inital expressions notebook that you only want the dept.name field to be populated using the department name.

If you do not enter field names into that table, all fields in the target record(here, your interaction) which have matching field names in the source record (here department) will be copied back into the Interaction. This is the default behavior when no field mapping is entered. For this reason, I always specify the fields to be copied.
----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event