Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Openview 4.5 sp17 and Vista

Highlighted
Kraag Ulozas
Acclaimed Contributor

HP Openview 4.5 sp17 and Vista

I was able to install HP Openview Service Desk 4.5 sp17 on a Vista machine but when I try to run it I get the message.

The following components are either not present on this machine or have an incorrect version number:
Microsoft ADO DB (Minimal required version:2.1)

I tryed installing MDAC 2.8 but I still get the same message.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would really like to use Vista but I have to access Openview too often to remote on to another machine to use it.
52 REPLIES
Mihai Tita
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP Openview 4.5 sp17 and Vista

Hi,

Check ADO/MDAC installation.
Verify MDAC version: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DataAccess.
The reinstallation is little difficult for MS XP and Vista that comes initially with a new MDAC version.

Regards,
Mihai
Kraag Ulozas
Acclaimed Contributor

The current MDAC version is 6.0.5384.4.
Mihai Tita
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

As we know the later MDAC sw is an integral part of XP or Vista OS.
Another version:
Full21Install: 0xffffffff
FullInstallVer: 6.0.5308.17
RollbackVersion: 2.71.9030.9
Version: 6.0.5308.17
Windows Installer is version 6.0 and I think that MS wants to sync up all the version numbers for apps and components.

Try to roll back to an earlier vesion of MDAC.
Run Dasetup.exe with the following command name: dasetup.exe /u

or clear MDAC and reinstall a previous version.

Regards,
Mihai
Geoff Markley
Acclaimed Contributor

Is the re-installation of MDAC a tedious process of replace Vista v6.0.x MDAC DLLs with the 2.7 or 2.8 equivalents?

I've tried installing 2.7, 2.7sp1 and 2.8 but in each case, the installation completes without actually overwriting the existing files.

Is there a specific DLL/file/setting that JVIEW wants?

Kraag Ulozas
Acclaimed Contributor

I wasn't able to uninstall mdac on vista. Dasetup.exe doesn't exsist. I've also tried just overwriting 6.xxx with 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, etc but none work. Any ideas?
Joost Gelijstee
Acclaimed Contributor

What have you done about Java Virtual Machine did you get a version for Vista or did you install the XP version
Kraag Ulozas
Acclaimed Contributor

XP version. Seemed to work.
Jeff Lawrence
Collector

Did anyone ever find a solution for this?
Travis Wesselma
Acclaimed Contributor

I am receiving the same error when trying to install HP Openview 4.5 SP 15 with Vista Beta 2. I tried to register the MDAC 2.8 components and that did not work. I would also be interested to here if anyone has a fix for this error. Thanks.
vladky
Acclaimed Contributor

Hello, I confirm same problem with Vista RC1 build 5600. I cannot work without Service Desk. Anyway SD still needs only MS Java which is potentialy point of unstability on Vista because Java from MS is not supported any more and it is old installation package. Anyway ADO DB is still the main issue.
Aaron Sheard
Super Collector

I too am wondering if there is a solution - i am currently testing Vista RC1 and have the same issue.

if anyone has any ideas please respond.

maybe there is a way to copy the dll's it wants into a folder somewhere?
"uh, hey... did we get a good backup last night?"
Jeff Lawrence
Collector

What MDAC files did you change? I looked up the list of files related to MDAC and there are dozens!
Henrik Ingemann
Acclaimed Contributor

How did you edit the file version of the mdac files, arent they locked?
Jeff Lawrence
Collector

I could not get it to work. I tried editing the MDAC dll files and just changing the "FILEVERSION" tab to 2.81.1117.0 and replaced the originals with the edited ones, no luck. I tried changing the FILEVERSION and the PRODUCTVERSION to 2.81.1117.0 and that didnt work. I copied the 13 MDAC files from my XP SP2 machine and tried it again and it didnt work. I uninstalled the SD client, rebooted and reinstalled, rebooted and tried again - no change in error message. I removed the text in the FILEVERSION about Vista, does that need to stay in there? I can try that too. The interesting thing is even after editing the files and removing all references to 6.0, i ran the MDAC CC 2.0 tool and it still saw some references to 6.0 in the DLL files, but I could not find any 6.0 text when I edited the files after running the CC. I changed the FILEVERSION at the top of the DLL file and in the middle - do I only edit the StringFileInfo section? I checked the registry and could not find anything - i am using RC1 as well and I tried SD client with no service pack and with SP15.
Henrik Ingemann
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi

I figured you needed reverse engineering, so I found ResHacker. I havent tried it out yet, but I tried to take the "13" files from XP SP2 and place them the appropiate places in vista, and CC now sees MDAC as 2.8 SP1 XP SP2, instead of unknown.

Still doesnt work, I will try using the tool later.

Regards.

Henrik
Jeff Lawrence
Collector

Mihai, what did you change in the files - did you only change the "FILEVERSION" under the StringInfo section or under both sections?
Jeff Lawrence
Collector

I was able to find the one file that reproduced the error message on Windows XP, but unable to solve the issue on Vista. The one file is msado15.dll. I can change the FileVersion (at the top) to 1,0,0,0 and on XP it gives me the ADO 2.1 error message. If I change it anything past 2,1 then the error message goes away on XP. I tried to modify this file on vista but it doesnt work, meaning I get the same error message. I am able to edit the files, so permissions is not the issue. i can verify the DLL file is changed to the edit version that I created. I reinstalled vista and just changed the FileVersion text to 2,81,0,0 (it works in XP) but could not get it to work in Vista RC1. Not sure what else to try, i am unable to get SD4.5 working on Vista RC1
Gary Cantwell
Honored Contributor

**Moderator Edit**

All of Mihai Tita's replies from Ocotober have been removed at his request
vladky
Acclaimed Contributor

WHY ???? Sux moderators, sux engineers of SD, no reply from them, I cannot believe they are not testing the Vista...how the corporates will work ?

**Moderator Edit**
All of Mihai Tita's replies from Ocotober have been removed at his request
Craig R Taylor
Collector

I am currently doing investigation on HPSD 4.5 and Windows Vista myself.
So just to clarify, is this happening on the client or on the server?
You can observe a lot just by watching. - YOGI BERRA
Josep Quereda
Acclaimed Contributor

The problem is related with Service Desk Client... I don't know is SD Server is having issues on Windows Vista.

Thanks!
Colleen Talbert
Collector

At my company we are trying to see if we can utilize Softicity to get around Vista's issues with SD's MDAC version requirement. Has anyone else tried this? If so, please provide details.

If we get it working, I'll post the results here!!

-Colleen
Colleen Talbert
Collector

Using Softricity worked and we are able to get the client working on a Vista machine, however the icons are missing. My test user is trying to user Windows 2K as the virtual profile and couldn't get the JVM installed. Has any one else has trouble with W2K and the JVM?

Or does any one have an idea why the icons would be missing on Vista?

Let me know if anyone is still working on this.

Thanks,
Colleen
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

HI
I found the source of problem:
mdac not changed, they stay ver 6, but if on your SD application server turn on Remote Update and you install the client lower version then your Application server - the Application server try update the \service desk folder by new verion servicepack.jar, then you recive the error messages " Microsoft ADO DB 2.1". But if you install clinet with same version as applic server - working withour errors.

Vasily
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event