Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

HP Openview 4.5 - Caller Field - Very Urgent

Highlighted
PaulStuart
Trusted Contributor.

HP Openview 4.5 - Caller Field - Very Urgent

The Caller field is an out of the box field for the SC form. I created a cusotm field as part of the Incident how do I link the fields so when I use Action copy fields from Sc to Incident Caller copies from the Sc to the Incident form.
6 REPLIES
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: HP Openview 4.5 - Caller Field - Very Urgent

Hi Paul,
Don't think there is any way to directly do that.
One idea: If you are not using the Requestor field in Service Call, then you could use this as a holding field becuase it is a global field available in SC and IN modules, so:
1. Have a UI rule to copy Caller to requestor whenever Caller changes
2. In your Copy fields definition for SC and Incident tick "Requestor"
3. Have a UI rule on new item open (in Incident) to copy Requestor to the Incident Caller. (Or it might have to be an On creation DB rule).
If you are using Requestor, but not using Initiator (ie the person field associated with Approvals), you could use that instead.

Two other options:
1. DB level trigger. (HP wouldn't like that).
2. Service Call DB rule which sets "related items" Incident; Caller to the Service Call Caller. But you'd have to do that every time you saved the call in case another Incident has been created...unless you only create the Incident once and have a Service Call Status which indicates this (eg "Transferred to Incident".

Hope that helps. ......Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

I was actually browsing for stuff on the "copy fields" feature and came across the HP doc that lists the types of fields that will not be carried from one item to another when using the Actions menu.

'Copy values from current item' is not copying all attributes - http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM122136

Hope it helps!
Points are welcome...

The Pike
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

That's really interesting Pike...I didn't think copy fields worked on custom fields at all (ie just on standard fields of the same name). But does it work or is that just the proposed solution?...will have to try it out. Thanks for the link.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ken,
It's a little bit of both. It works and it's the proposed solution (since the doc lists specifically Person Entity Reference cannot be used with this feature).

I have tested Copy Fields and it works on custom fields and my guess is it will work for any custom field as long as it is primitive field type as listed in the document.

The Pike
PaulStuart
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I have managd to copy the fields across successfully.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Paul - points would be nice for those going to the trouble of answering :)