Did you mean: 

HP OpenView Service Desk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Lindsay Parker
Regular Contributor

HP OpenView Service Desk

All I am in the process of pulling my thoughts together on a white paper that will highlight the successes and pitfalls of implementing OVSD.
I believe that there are many examples out there that demonstrate how not to implement OVSD solutions, decisions that have been made by ill trained architects that have resulted in roadblocks being encountered later in the implementation.
I am sure that there are many other examples that you could each site.
I would be very grateful if you could provide me with one or two examples that you have encountered, these may be problems that you have set right, or might be examples whereby had you not been involved the architect solution would have run into problems.
6 REPLIES
Michael Krongar
Super Collector

Re: HP OpenView Service Desk

Lindsay,

One problem we encountered in implementing Service Desk is an undocumented limitation in the number of rules that the system will support. Using Oracle as the database, the system will support 999 rules for each of the modules (Service Call, Incident, Problem, etc.). HP plans to up the limit in a future Service Release but we ran into the limit when trying to develop a sophisticated automatic notification scheme. One word of warning - once you hit the limit, it corrupts the database and you can not edit, remove, or add any more rules. You have to use SQL commands to remove all of the rules and then start over again.

This problem was so severe that we had to trash our version 3 (SP 5) implementation before going live and start over. We are now implementing version 4 (go live on 4/1) and did so with very minimal automatic assignment.

Hope you find this helpful,
Mike Krongard
James Mohr
Solution

Hi Lindsay!

For us one of the biggest pitfalls is a design mistake when HP moved from ITSM. A number of customers complained that if a user opened a call and went home without closing the window, that call was locked and no one else could use it. Rather than implementing a mechansims whereby the administrator could manually unlock the call, the decided to use optimistic locking. Translated, that means they are optimistic that people don't make mistakes, but we all know they do. If someone opens a call and does an hours worth of work and forgets to save it in the heat of the moment, then someone else comes along and only looks at the call but presses "save and close", you have just lost an hour's work. In ITSM, the call was locked, but the work was not lost.

You can implement policies and procedures until you are blue in the face. However, people are going to make mistakes and you are going to loose date as HP did not choose the "path of least danger." Supposedly there will be changes in SD 4.5 that warn you if the call is already open, but there is still no mechanisms to **prevent** accident data loss.

We have changed warning messages so that they are more obvious about what will happen, such as when the second person wants to close a changed call, the messages warns him/her that their changes will be lost. We have also removed the "save and close" button and replaced it with just "close". The user can still save the call with CTRL-S or through the menu, but this is a more conscious act that simply clicking a toolbar button.

Regards,

jimmo
www.linux-tutorial.info
Antonio Valle_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Lindsay!

I think that my worst error in the design phase of an ITSM or SD implementation was to agree with customer on a very detailed inventory management. In this case, the number of CIs was impossible to manage and it was worsen by the fact that nobody wanted to take the role of CMDB manager, so the initial effort to create an inventory was dieing slowly.

I think that in the triagle "People, Process, Technology", the most important force to deploy ServiceDesk successfully is *People*.

Antonio
Jasper Verweij
Honored Contributor

Lindsay,

I agree with Antonio that People are the keyfactors for success.

A good preparation will do half the job. Before going live with any tool you should create awareness at customer site. Be sure you have triggered the right persons at the right level. A technical person is not eager to hear great stories about added values/end-to-end management if his daily job is only replacing tapes, adding accounts.

Be sure that as implementator you are not running to hard for the customer. As I said before people don't like changes in the beginning. Although the learning curve of Service Desk is very good, still it is a new product. So be sure you take your time to listen to problems of the customer and act to it.

Be sure you show the integration possibilities of Service Desk. It isn't a tool with a Berlin wall!!!

Jasper

Mans shapshak
Acclaimed Contributor

Lindsay,

First of all let me say that I think the white paper "A FOOL WITH A TOOL IS STILL A FOOL!" was excellent and I hope you can provide us with another such paper.

Now to your question. I think that the you hit the nail on the spot in that last white paper when you emphasized that Business Processes must be in place before you can implement the tools corectly.

This is reflected in the response of Antonio below about the granularity of the CMDB.

The issue is that ITIL leaves a lot of leaverage and a lot of possible inconsistencies to surface in the division of operational activities, change and incidents. The problem of granularity in the CMDB often being a result.

I think a white paper to reflect examples of OVSD implementations where expicit CMDB granualarity is mapped to RFC classification and Incident handleing using operational procedures or change management would be very usefull.

Arguments could be given that this is really customization work to be left to the implementing cosnultancy but I have a feeling that in actual fact there is a lot of redudant work being done in this area in a lot of MOF/ITIL implementations and we could well increase the success rate and ROI.
Best Regards,
Mans Shapshak
d.allen
Acclaimed Contributor

We are starting to use this but our CM team has no advice to give our engineers on the specific processes required for moves/adds/changes of network equipment, cabling, phones etc.
Can anyone point me at a recognized set of processes or procedures for managing network (LAN/WAN)changes in OVSD? Is there such a thing or do we just blunder ahead?
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event