Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

HP Open View BANNER ALERT display

Highlighted
Venkatesha_1
Outstanding Contributor.

HP Open View BANNER ALERT display

I have few questions on the Banner display.

1. I am getting a delay in display of HP Open View Banner on the HOST. Is this is due to the time difference of the Service Desk Application Server and the client host?.

2. In some of the m/c banners are not displayed even though the Service Desk Agent is running successfully. How do it can troubleshooted?.

3. In Application Server's log i am getting the message as "machine switched off". What is the meaning of this message(Getting this message even if the m/c are in the network and able to communicate).

4. How configure to recieve a sound alert when a service call is created or modified?.

Regards
Venkatesh
4 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: HP Open View BANNER ALERT display

Hi there,

If you use banner in a UI rule, the banner will appear on the client machine. If you use in a DB rule, it appears on the machine you specify in the host field of the exec command action. There must be an agent running on the machine you specify.

As far as I know, any delay is not likely to be the result of any time differences.

The message "machine switched off" means that the SD server cannot communicate with the agent on the box you have specified.

check the agent is running and using the port you expect (netstat -an).

To configure sound, each user can go to Tools>Options>Sounds and specify the sound you want for each event and then go to the Advanced tab and click the "sounds" box.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi!

if you r DB rule is fine, and the banner.exe is available in the location as mentioned in the DB rule, there should not be any issue.

Is there any fire wall enabled on the client system ? If so, disable it and test.

-Ashly
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Venkatesha_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,

I am using SD4.5 with service pack 14. The java version of SD server is 1.3 but the java version of Agent machine is higher(1.4/1.5). Is this causing problem.

Regards
Venkatesha
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

To the best of my knowledge, java version will not cause any problem for banners.

And yes, as indicated above, time zone variations will have no effect. Service desk will store all the times inside the database in GMT.