Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group clients to app server pairs on same SDDB

Highlighted
ShaneV
Collector

Group clients to app server pairs on same SDDB

Hi

We have a situation where we have mutliple app servers on one SD database instance.
We need to group a set of clients to use only one of two designated app servers. We want this group to have failover between the two app servers but not be able to connect to any of the other five. (this five of course also have failover for their set of clients). So we have "multiple servers" checked in server_settings.

We have tried using ITP port numbers to force the client group to one of the two servers but still the DB table gives the full list of seven servers and the connection is random.

We have tried denying and accepting ipadresses but we get strange error conditions during failover that we do not want to bring into the user env, although it does work.(active server list in system view displays random servers on refresh)

What else can anyone suggest?
4 REPLIES
Jasper Verweij
Honored Contributor

Re: Group clients to app server pairs on same SDDB

Although your wish makes perfectly sense I don't think this could be accomplished in a neat and manageble way. I have no clue if the 5.0 technology allows you to do something like this, but I expect the same :-(

You could try to deny access on DNS/IP level to app servers, but this might slowdown startup of SD client and your logclient.txt will contain entries about connection errors.

Jasper
ShaneV
Collector

Thanks for the quick reply Jasper. Do you think restricting access between App servers will have and useful effect besides denying clients.

Shanev
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello,

In theory this could be possible programatically but this is not tested.

In the example I will use two instances, instance A and instance B.

All IPs from group A are accepted in A and denied in B and all IPs from B are denied in A and accepted in B.

You monitor somehow (for example with OVO) the health of both instances. If A goes down then use a script to alter the server settings.xml of B in order to allow clients from A. Restart B. When A becomes available modify B's server settings.xml and restart B again.
menes fhtagn
ShaneV
Collector

This thread is no longer relevant
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event