Graphics inserted into e-mail message body

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

Graphics inserted into e-mail message body

Hi!
Do any body no, how to make the HP Servise Desk server to receive an e-mail messages whith a graphics inserted into message body? HP SD 4.5 with SP19 can receive it, but save the graphics in a different txt-file. It`s inconveniently, to copy these files to local disk and rename to *.jpg.

Thank you!
23 REPLIES
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Graphics inserted into e-mail message body

Hi Evgeniy.
This is a problem for SD - split correctly pictures from text. I test it before on MS Exchenge, in Exchenge server possible set on emails domain convert to plaint text , that working correctly. Try if you have Exchenge.

Vassili
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

Yes, Vassili,

I have alredy checked that option, but it seems, that this option not works. The e-mail messeges is still delivering in html format.

What is my mistake?
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hm,
This strange, but on my server is working :(.

Vassili
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

OK.

It is question to Microsoft :)

Thanks!
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi again.
Look on this , HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Options\Mail
Add a DWORD of READASPLAIN=1

then evevery time will a plaint text.

Vassili
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

...but it only prompt Outlook to display all messages as plain-text. If you delete this DWORD, all messages, including sent with this DWORD, should be display as html again. Also it is impossibly to set all users to send all messages anly in plain text.
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

I set the "Always use" checkbox (see first picture in attachment)
The internet message format option now is working...
... but all attachments (embedded and plain) place in one content.txt file :(
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Evgeniy,

We recently upgraded our Exchange OS ie from Exchange 2003 on Windows 2000 to Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. When we did this, the embedded images in html messages to SD no longer attached and the body of the email failed to get into the information field. The smtp service is supplied by Windows not exchange so I believe there is some differences between Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 smtp service.

I resolved this by changing the character set from US-ASCII to Western European Character Set. You could try Western European just to see if it is an issue with the Cyrillic character set not properly converting to plain text (which I assume is non trivial?) and then take this to Microsoft.

Cheers

PS: Embedded images in "Rich Text" emails still fail to attach for us but the body of the message at least makes it to the information field - so we are happy with that.
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

Thank you! It is very interesting idea.

I have select the Western European Character Set - nothing happens. The message recived after this is same as before. Content type and Character Set in this messages is same.
This converting function is not works and i do not know, how to resolve this.
I have try it on Exch 6.5(build 6544.4) and Exch 6.5 (build 7226.6: SP1) - nothing.
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

We are 6.5 build 7638.2 Service Pack 2. But the SMTP service is a windows service so I think the Exchange build is irrelevant.

However I did just recheck your settings and I noticed that you have Exchange Rich Text Format - always use. If this message format is only for Service Desk then you should have "never use" for Rich Text Format.

You would only have a message format with "Always Use" for Rich text format for an email domain that you are sure have MS Exchange and you want to preserve Rich text formatting for messages to that email domain. Service Desk will definitely dislike Rich Text format.

Cheers
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

Thank you, David!
Yes, I have already understand that the rich text format is unsuitable for HP SD. But it is only one setting in "Internet message options" that have any effect. Other settings are not change the message format - and this is cause of my headache.
I think, I should setup an mail filter on freeBSD platform to convert mail to plain text.
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi.
Evgeny, are you solve your problem? if not I can help you, if you does not have anything against about Java e-mail server as forwarding engine.

Vasily
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

Hi, Vasily!
Yes, I have already think about forwarding engine, f.e. perl mail-tools. But I don`t know well, how to do this.

PS: How about speak russian by mail evgeniy.bezgodov in domain atl.biz and than put a description of our solution to the forum?
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Evgeniy,

Can you confirm that you have a message format defined in Exchange specifically for your Service Desk email domain?

Our settings do split out graphics in html properly but not with Rich text format messages (even though they are converted to plain text by exchange).

Cheers

Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

Hi, David!

My exchange can convert messages to rich text (if this option is set), but it can`t convert messages to plain text (independently of setting the option "provide message body as plain text").

I think that it is bug of exchange...
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Evgeniy,

I am a bit confused? I have attached the settings from your previous post that I think is wrong? OVSD cannot accept Rich Text emails - they must be converted to plain text. The setting Rich Text would only be used if your message format definition was for another Exchange based email domain.

However, as I said even with this the embedded graphics in Rich Text does not work but html should. Attachments in rich text and html should also be OK.

Cheers
Evgeniy Bezgodo
Valued Contributor.

David, I have already know that the rich text format is unsuitable for HP SD. I have already checked the option "never use". But the plain text converting is not working.
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Send me an html email with an embedded graphic and if it looks good for me then maybe HP needs to help out. My address is David.Borojevic@education.tas.gov.au. If need be create a message format for *.education.tas.gov.au and make the settings the same as your service desk message format.

Cheers
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

I got your email and replied to it but got a NDR (non deliverable report) and so here is the essence of the reply.

I tested your email forwarding to our test OVSD server and it failed. I tried numerous settings on the Message Format including those that work for us. Your html message uses a Russian character set and I suspect either Microsoft or HP are letting you down. I don't know which.

Good to see you have a Java solution working - though it is a shame you have to resort to that. You should log it with HP.

Cheers
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Evgeniy,

In your first message, you say that the image is saved in a file called context.txt, but it is really a jpg file.

On our system, the same thing happens, but it is a gif file!

This would suit us fine, except that the name of the attachment in the service call has the wrong extension.

Does anyone know how to get OVSD to save the attachment with an extension .gif instead of .txt ?

Thanks,
Josh
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jos, get this server and use af forwarding machine.(rar archive)

Vasily
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Vasily,

Thanks. It is unlikely that we can use tools like that in our environment.

-Josh
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi
I found one problem in code, fixed now.
Attachment: jes.jar

Vasily