Graphic Reporting Tools for HPOVSD

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Dumitru Neferu
Valued Contributor.

Graphic Reporting Tools for HPOVSD

Hi,
I have to do a complex graphic report in HPOVSD and i can't do it in the "graphic reporting tool" of HPOVSD.
Does anyone know any freeor not free reporting tool to use and to make reports?

Thanks,

Gabriel.
7 REPLIES
chanls
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Re: Graphic Reporting Tools for HPOVSD

Don't know any free tools but "Report Manager" from Westbury is a great tool for OVSD reports.

http://www.westburyusa.com/wm.cgi?lng=EN&main=12&id=24

Hope this help!

Nelson Chan
JamesII
Honored Contributor.

We also use WestburyUSA. But the actual tool that you use to generate the report is called BusinessObjects. Westbury supplies you with the "universe" that BusinessObjects uses to interface with the HPSD database. It's a great tool.
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Gabriel,

Lower tech solutions are:

1)export the data to Excel and do the graphics there. Advantage - fairly intuitive, and you probably already know how it works. Disadvantage - certain types of relationships are very hard to export to Excel.

2)use a tool like Crystal Reports. Advantage - it costs less than a BO-based solution. Disadvantage - you need to have a good idea about the database structure.

-Josh
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Hi Gabriel,

We are using for this type of reports, Panorama NovaView. Using this tool, almost anyone can create cubes (OLAP) and place these in a dashboard to be available in your organization via web. Panorama is based on SQL.

Regards,

Dan
Mihai Tita
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Gabriel,

If you have SD based on SQL DB you can use Reporting Services that is included in MS SQL 2005 and is free of charge for every licensed SQL 2000 srv.

Regards,
Mihai
Judit_Pongracz
Respected Contributor.

Hi Gabriel,

you haven't specified what do you mean by graphic report, but the guys have given you great ideas.
Actually, I have seen all 3 solutions:

1. Westbury/Business Objects- this is my most recent solution, just getting to use it, it's very popular however.

2. Crystal Reports- problem with is that if you don't have the proper version, which I believe has to be an enterprise version (therefore more expensive), you are unable to schedule the reports to run automatically. By the way, Crystal is now Business Objects as well, they bought it.

3. SQL Reporting services works really fine, this was my favourite so far, and if you have SharePoint portal, it's really easy to publish those ever so important reports to the decision makers, no emailing. And of course you can set permissions...

Best regards,
Judit
Judit_Pongracz
Respected Contributor.

Sorry, I forgot to tell my point: if you meant a tool with what you can create a graphical view of your CMDB, I haven't seen anything else for it than Service Navigator (which is just as much OVO as SD) or SD 5.0.

Judit