The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving Roles to Users...

Highlighted
steven_160
Collector

Giving Roles to Users...

Hi,
I hv installed SD4.5 and having 12500 users..i hv to give permission to them to the custom role which i hv made, but its takes lot of time to do it...and its a tedious job...
is there any another alternate solution to give rights to the users..rather selecting a single users and clicking on the check box button

steven
11 REPLIES
steven_160
Collector

Re: Giving Roles to Users...

any one can help me in resolving this issue
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Steven,

The relations between roles and accounts are defined in the table REP_ROLES_PER_ACCOUNT. The bad news is that each relation has a unique identifier generated at creation time thus messing around with this table is out of the question.

The quicker way to import these relations is through Data Exchange.
menes fhtagn
steven_160
Collector

hi george,
thanks for ur reply...and all these are SP users.. can i update the sp users again by giving one more column in the excel sheet and can the roles be assigne ...i m asking u bcoz i wanna do it in the production server.

steven
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Steven,

Actually you should not update "accounts", you should update roles.
menes fhtagn
steven_160
Collector

george..
which template should i take while data exchange.. i.e spaccount or roles...
can u please specify in deatils
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Steven,

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that "SP accounts" is used for mass importing of sp accounts.

If you have created a custom role and you wish to assign it to several accounts I guess that you should use "role" template.
menes fhtagn
steven_160
Collector

hi george,

yes u r right spaccount is used for importing mass account of SP users...n i hv done it too. and also related the account to it..n now i want to assign these persons to a specific roles which i hv made..and as u said i had used the roles per account template..and in it i have used the account name and roles...i had selected the role wat i need in the template of roles per account and i exported it succerssfully...but when i go to that roles and see the users doesnt have the check box click on it....i dont know wat is worng then...
can any 1 guide on it...has any 1 come across it...
its urgent...

steven
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Steven,

SP accounts to my knowledge can be linked only to Service Pages role.
menes fhtagn
steven_160
Collector

can it be linked to custom role?
steven_160
Collector

i hv used the spaccounts template and had used for columns.. i.e login,displayname,password and roles..n i can import to xml properly..but when i m exporting to service desk i m getting the following error...
warning: com/hp/ifc/wf/AppEntitySet while processing attribute ROLES..
in mapping i hv linked the roles field to the role which i have made by using values..but can u tell me which reference to item should i used..

steven
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Well, it appears that you can link an SP account to a role (by opening Role/Accounts). However for the "Service Call" I don't know what role will have precedence.
menes fhtagn
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event