Generic Relations in SD 4.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Leon B_1
Super Contributor.

Generic Relations in SD 4.5

Hello All

Generic Relations (introduced in SP 17) seems to have a lot of potential for some interesting ideas in SD 4.5

I was wondering what sort of customisations people have made that get a lot of use out of Generic Relations, particularly with Generic Relation Group types and reporting.

The basic use of M to N relationships like Changes to Multiple CIs is nice, but what else has everyone done?

Cheers,
Leon
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Generic Relations in SD 4.5

Hello Leon,

One of the most handy things come with generic relations is that you can limit field range based on generic relations. Prior to that, you could only limit value range of a code field. Now you can limit range of any sd entity. For example based on the template you could limit the value range of assignment to work group. Or using a single ui rule could limit the value range of service call classification based on service.

Furthermore you can create relationships between same items, like service call to service call. The only limitation I have found so far, is that on the view of incoming/outgoing relations the relation type cannot be shown.
menes fhtagn
Leon B_1
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the reply John, using generic relations to limit values is definitely very handy.

As for showing the incoming and outgoing generic relations, have you tried using a reporting tool to display the information from the database before? I haven't yet looked, but I imagine that they would be stored in a database view which might be handy for reporting.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Leon, George,

I've looked at Generic Relations briefly and have to admit I don't understand the function at all. Its one of those things I keep meaning to research but never get the time to.

Please can you explain simply and possibly give a working example of how it can be utilised?

I understand limiting field value ranges in UI rules, according to a set of criteria. How does this come into Generic Relationships?

Thanks in advance for your time and patience with a relative beginner.

Peter
Leon B_1
Super Contributor.

Hi Peter

I can only really recommend to read http://ovweb.external.hp.com/ovnsmdps/pdf/sd45_sp20_addendum_en.pdf because it explains it pretty well and I'm still figuring more about it myself.

Cheers,
Leon
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hello Leon,

I have such query:

select rct.rct_name as 'Generic relation Name',
ent_from.ent_name as 'Entity From',
ent_to.ent_name as 'Entity To'
from IFC_GENERICRELATIONS grl inner join REP_CODES_TEXT rct on grl.grl_rcd_oid=rct.RCT_RCD_OID
inner join REP_CODES rcd on rcd.RCD_OID=rct.RCT_RCD_OID
inner join ifc_entities ent_from on ent_from.ENT_OID=rcd.RCD_FROM_ENT_OID
inner join ifc_entities ent_to on ent_to.ENT_OID=rcd.RCD_TO_ENT_OID
where rct.RCT_LNG_OID=1033

The point is that this should also be listed on the outgoing/incoming relations. If for example you create a generic relation between two service calls, then in the list of generic relations on the service call form it will only display From;Description and To;Description. This is not enough, it should also display the relation name, for example "Service Call to Service Call".

menes fhtagn
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Leon,

Thanks for the document, its a real plus to have all that SP documentation in one place.

I only started with SD 4.5 on SP17, so I didn't know any of the history of the development.

I think I understand the Generic Relations feature now. However, after thinking about it for a while, I can't think if anywhere in our system where I could use it!

Perhaps I don't understand it after all?

It seems like all the limitation decissions are code table based on our system and the UI and DB rules I currently have handle those limitations.

What uses have you found for it so far?
Leon B_1
Super Contributor.

Hi Guys

I was given the following query from HP Support:

SELECT GRL.grl_from_oid RELATION_FROM
, GRL.grl_to_oid RELATION_TO
, ENT.ent_name FROM_ENT_TYPE
, ENT2.ent_name TO_ENT_TYPE
, RCT.rct_name REL_TYPE
FROM IFC_GENERICRELATIONS GRL
, REP_CODES RCD
, REP_CODES_TEXT RCT
, IFC_ENTITIES ENT
, IFC_ENTITIES ENT2
WHERE GRL.GRL_RCD_OID = RCD.RCD_OID
AND RCD.rcd_to_ent_oid = ENT.ent_oid
AND RCD.rcd_from_ent_oid = ENT2.ent_oid
AND RCD.rcd_oid = RCT.RCT_RCD_OID

The output of this will show the OIDs of the entities that are related and the relation type. Based on this query, I could customise more database views to show the information that I want.

Peter, though it's true that database and UI rules can achieve what you want in terms of limiting, for new implementations or for future limiting rules the generic relations could be easier (for example I like being able to limit assignable workgroups based on Service) and I like being able to relate a Change record directly to multiple CI records.

Cheers,
Leon