Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Function - (Current Person)

Highlighted
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Function - (Current Person)

When we create an UI rules. It is possible to update field's data to Current User (with function (Current Person)). the question is:
Where this Current Person function takes data from ? The person form, or from our login account ?

If it took the data from login account, and we know that we can set roles in every account, Is it possible to get that roles information with this function? or maybe another function?

Thanks in Advance. Any helps will be appreciated.
E P

8 REPLIES
Ramaprasad N
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Function - (Current Person)

To the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to get the Role details for the current person in OVSD. A person can be related to multiple roles. Hence this functionality might not have been provided.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric,

using the attribute option in a rule you can select "Entered By Person" - "Role"
However setting this to update the value to a text field in the test system it does not appear to be writing the role of the person who entered the call.

Seem you can selest the value but the udate is not made. This appears to happen even on accounts that have only 1 role set.
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

THanks you the replies.

Mark,
Actually I need Current Person - Role. not Entered by person, because Entered by person refer to the creator of SC, not the current user.

But it sounds interesting if we can access those Entered by person's role, can u explain me how to make it. I cannot find the Entered by person - Role tree..
(role here mean role from person's account right? not the custom field)

thanks,
Eric
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric,

attached is they way I was looking at doing it via a Ui rule for Entered by person (incidently the rule i have set up is not taking the role details and writing them to a text field)

Doing this using the attribute Registration Modified By - does not display the role as an option to be used.
So not to sure if you can now do this via a UI rule.

"Points make an excellent gift this Chistmas"
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric,

attached is they way I was looking at doing it via a Ui rule for Entered by person (incidently the rule i have set up is not taking the role details and writing them to a text field)

Doing this using the attribute Registration Modified By - does not display the role as an option to be used.
So not to sure if you can now do this via a UI rule.

"Points make an excellent gift this Chistmas"
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Eric,
A general response to your question.

When you update data with a UI rule, that rule needs to be able to update unambiguously. There must be a 1 to 1 mapping of the new value to the value to update.

Since a Person can map to multiple Roles, even if you could access the role information, you could not get an unambiguous result. Therefore, this sort of information is not available for update in UI rules.

-Josh
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi mark,

Very interesting. but I wonder why i cannot find Entered by person Role attribute in my system. except I have to type it manually.

anyway why your quick find button different from mine ? (attached pic).

my env. is SP14. is there any relation with Service Pack?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Josiah,

Yes, i think so. Btw will this feature added in SD 5.0 ?

Cheers,
Eric