Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fields on forms dependency on other Items fields

Highlighted
Saad Masood
Super Collector

Fields on forms dependency on other Items fields

how to make fields from two different Forms (Change & Project)dependent on each other?

how can a field like "Status" in Project form can be made dependent on "Status" field in related Change forms?
11 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Re: Fields on forms dependency on other Items fields

Hi,

what version and SP are you on. If you have the higher SP's you may be able to do this with generic relationships.
Saad Masood
Super Collector

Hi there,
SD version 4.5.0588.1706 (SP 17)

can u suggest a way to acheive this dependency?
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

If you mean can you amend the status of a chnage when its owning project is amended, yes you can - use a DB rule and use the update related item feature.

Similarly, if you want to to update the status of a project when a change is amended you can do this uing a DB rule and an uodate action but if you are in 4.5 you will need to use a workround where you TYPE in the words:

Project; Status

when choosing the field to update

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Saad Masood
Super Collector

what i understand is that when i apply DB rule on a Project item i can only update a field on project form on basis of fields on the same project form..
so how can i make a condition that status of a "change" related to a project can be checked in a DB rule applied on Project??

correct me if i am wrong!
Vasily Kamenev
Honored Contributor

Hi
DB Rule by Statuses - this method involve too much DB rule (one rule per Status) or the Status must be the same in Project and Change. If Status is different, the best way use sd_event and in .bat file or .sh describe map between Status. Then will be need only 2 Rule - one in Change one in Project.

Vasily
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

If you wnat to check the status of a change the DB rule has to be on the chnage but the data update action can update the owning project if required.

If this does not help please say exactly what it is that you are trying to do (and by the way poinst would be nice)

Regards

Ruth
Saad Masood
Super Collector

here is what i want :

1. to make a condition in the Project Form that it cannot be closed until all the related Changes are in Closed Status.

2. to make a provision that if i update some fields in a Change Form, all of this data becomes visible in the related Project fields ..

hope i clearly stated what i need!
your reply will be highly appreciated!!
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

1. to make a condition in the Project Form that it cannot be closed until all the related Changes are in Closed Status.

You can do this out of the box with Work orders on a cgnage but unfortunaltely not with chnages on projects.

The only thing I can suggest is to have a custom number field ona project and every time a chnage starts have a DB rule which adds 1 to this field on the project. when a change closes subtract 1.

then have a UI rule using a limit value that does not offer teh clsoed status unless the field is zero.

2. to make a provision that if i update some fields in a Change Form, all of this data becomes visible in the related Project fields

Again you need to use a rule to do a data update of the field on the project when the change fields are amended.

As I said before iif you are using version 4.5 you need to type in the name of the field.

Hope this helps
Ruth
Saad Masood
Super Collector

thanks for the detailed response!
i tried to implement your solution , but i got stuck with predecessor & Successor relationships. when i try to apply a DB rule on Change Form i need to select the related Project on which the fields should be updated but it gives options of Successor, Predecessor, Service Calls etc ..but no project option comes.

Is a project Predecessor of a Change ?
so do i have to select predecessor -> project -> field to be updated--equals--the field on the change form.

your help will be highly appreciated!!
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Hi there,

When you select update related item in a data update action on a DB rule on a project, you should be offered "related changes" or something similar; it will not be a predecessor or succesor because the changes all belong to the project.

Hope this helps

Ruth

(points would be nice if it does!)
Saad Masood
Super Collector

Hi there.

1.what i am trying to do is that any change in the field of a Change form should trigger an action that will update some fields in the project....

how should i do it>> there are two option

A. apply DB rule on Change that whenever any field is updated it also get updated in the related project, now in this case i get Successer/Predecessor in the related Items field!!!

B. apply DB rule on the Project that when there is some change in any field of a Change form project should be automaticaly updated, now in this case when i select "Change" in the related items dropdown and then press Fields , i get only the fields of Change form as an option to set them .. i want to change the fields on Project form on the basis of fields on the change form but i cant do it in that way!!!

thanks in advance!

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event