Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Fields changed for a CI

Highlighted
Burko
Frequent Contributor.

Fields changed for a CI

Hi,

I'm looking at a requirement to report explicit changes to a CI during a service event (service call and associated work orders)

The idea would be to take a snapshot a CI record before and after then changes to a CI, and report the changes in an email.

The obvious way to do this is write some api code and do it "the hard way"

Our workflow will use Workorders and their Related CI's. I see that the CI/Outages tab allows you to enter proposed CI values, that can be applied later on closure. Presumeably, these are stored somewhere...has anyone any experience of querying this data?

thanks in advance.
bb
My hovercraft is full of eels
3 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Re: Fields changed for a CI

Hi Burko,
"The hard way" you mentioned, is the best way! But, even in this case, is essentially to have some support applications for discovery/ inventory to feed an OMDB database (real inventory). An interface between OMDB and CMDB will compare some relevant attributes of CIs ("CIs Verification" function) and you will have a real time report of what has been changed in your infrastructure. The disadvantage is that you can't cover, using discovery/inventory tools, all CIs categories.
Hope this idea could helps you,
Regards,
Dan

Thanks for that Dan,

Unfortunately, we don't have the module you describe.

I have done a bit of hunting in the database, and found it possible to query itsm_planned_ci_values as follows (List Planned changed for all CIs related to all Work Orders, related to Service Calls)

select
ser.ser_id,
wo.wor_id as 'Work Order',
ci.cit_id as 'CI ID',ci.cit_name1 as 'Name1',
rep.lal_text as 'CI Field Name',pv.pcv_value as 'New value'
from itsm_planned_ci_values pv,
ifc_attributes atr, rep_labels_locale rep,
itsm_configuration_items ci,
itsm_workorders wo, itsm_workorder_cis wci,
itsm_servicecalls ser
where atr.atr_oid = pv.pcv_atr_oid
and rep.lal_lbl_oid = atr.atr_lbl_oid
and ci.cit_oid = wci.wci_cit_oid
and wci.wci_oid = pv.pcv_wci_oid
and wo.wor_oid = wci.wci_wor_oid
and ser.ser_oid = wo.wor_ser_oid

The question is - how to determine if the Planned change has been applied.

Can anyone tell me?

The other thing that worries me about the Planned Ci table - the value column pcv_value is a 4k string!!!How does that apply to the large range of data types available in itsm_configuration_items? Sounds like we "cross our fingers and pray" that the value will cast appropriately. That could be a bit tough for a 16k blob....

regards,
bb
My hovercraft is full of eels
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Hi Burko,
To see if planned status have been applied, you can check the boolean field CIs Updated.
During change process, before you close an
WO, you must select "assigned" value for Upd. CMDB status field. After that, CIs Updated check box should be validated, to indicate that planned status values updated previously status of CIs.
Hope this helps you.
Best regards,
Dan