Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field Access Problem in Roles

Highlighted
Aykut Guven
Collector

Field Access Problem in Roles

Hello,

There is a strange problem in Field Access in SD sp 20. I have folder structure like

Parent Folder
Child-1
Child-2

When I set "Actual Finish" to Write Access for a related role and View for Child-1 and Hide for Child-2 folder. SD sets access rights same for all the folders. What I do last change in any of folders affects others.

It looks like something wronge may be a bug.
UPS
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Field Access Problem in Roles

Hello Aykut,

If I understood correctly what you are trying to do, this is not a bug. The field access is set per entity for the role and not per folder.

If you want to define field access then you must do it by role.
menes fhtagn
Aykut Guven
Collector

Change Request: ITSM007911
Field access child role overrules field access of the parent role

Says that there is a change request and fixed with sp21. I have installed sp 21 in my Test environment but still same problem exist. It is really urgent and annoying situation.
UPS
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Aykut,

It seems that I misunderstood you, I took "folders" literally as folders and not as role with children roles.

If Role A, contains Role B, then by design sd will use cascading access. What I want to say is that if Role A has a field read only and Role B has a field read write, since Role A includes Role B, whoever has Role A will have read write access to the field.

I faced a similar challenge once. Here we have some fields that must be ro by all roles but it was annoying to do this for every role.

So I created a basic role that is included in all roles and I give there the access I like.
Then at the parent roles I just make all fields "view", so if both parent and child have "view" the account will have read only access. When the child role is "full access" then the account has full access.

In your case, Parent Role will have all the rights that both Child-1 and Child-2 have and in case that Child-1 and Child-2 have limited access but Parent no, then the account using parent role will NOT have limited access.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi,

George I had to work with something similar to thsi requirement here with a similar problem faced. I like the ides of the parent folder being "view" and the child roles getting the elevated access.

Sometimes the other way of using just flat roles with ever increasing access doesn't seem to provide enough flexability with reduced administration. (just letting off some steam :)
Aykut Guven
Collector

Looks like SD has a major problem in managing access rights and this will not be achvied by using standart SD functionalities. Somehow it is needed to switch SD roles dynamically to achive this.

I hope HP can add this functionality to the product but it looks not possible to request this change for a product which will be obsolete soon.
UPS
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event