Fails sending e-mail to [Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization]

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

Fails sending e-mail to [Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization]

Hi all. Need some of your help!
For the ServiceCall entity I create a DB rule, which should notify via e-mail the manager of the assigned person in case of new Service Call registration. The code looks like this:

When service call is created
OR When service call is modified
where Assignment;To person (*) is anything
Notify (Send e-mail message) , Send to: [Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization], Subject: New SC created, Message: [ID], Attachment Classification:

In this format the rule is not beeing executed. But if I enter a hard e-mail address in the 'Send To'field instead of [Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization], then it works fine. Surely, I have the right e-mail address entered for the Person, who is the Manager of Organization, to which the Assigned Person belongs. I use the ServiceDesk 4.5 with SP18, but I also tried it out on SP22, but come to the same result.

Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

Re: Fails sending e-mail to [Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization]

Does the field Manager of organization fill in an email address or does this actually fill in the person's name?

Can you also schedule in action in the rule to write the field [Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization] to a text box so you can see if it enters anything.
Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

Following your suggestion, I've added a Data Update action for a text box field to see what does the [Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization] fills in. It look like this:

action_name (Update Data) Information set to [Assignment To person Manager of Organization]

To my surprise, the Information field remains empty after the rule executes, but if I change the action to smth like

action_name (Update Data) Information set to [Assignment To person]

then it correctly updates the Information field with the name of the assignee.

I've double-checked the e-mail field of the form of the Person, who is selected as the manager in the Manager field on the form of the Organization, to which the Assigned Person belongs. So, where is the mistake?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

Try using

[Assignment;To person;Manager of Organization;E-mail]

You may need to type it in manually

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks, but I've already tried it, though it didn't help as well. Besides, I've even tried [Assignment;To person;Organization;Manager;E-mail] - nothing but failure

Guess, this is just another bug.
Any ideas?
Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.

I was checking into myself and I added the manager of organization field to the person record form. When I did, I noticed that it was a multi select box and that the designated manager of the organization was not listed to myself, even though my org has a manager.

It looks like the manager of organization box shows the organizations that you are a manager of and does not show the manager of the related person's organization. Try adding this field to a person form and then looking at the person who is the manager for the organization in your example. It should show the organizations that he/she manages.

You may need to create a new generic relation or custom person field store the manager of the person given that it doesn't appear that you can email the manager of the organization of the assigned to person with the out of box fields.
Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

Tim, I can't understand what you wrote in the last passage. Could you please, describe it in more detail?
mathur
Respected Contributor.

Hi there,

I hope given below instructions will work.

1. I hope you must have defined one custom field with the name for eg. "Manager" in Organization module of Service Desk.
2. Please check if in this custom field you have given email id of respective manager.
3. Rule should be written like below:

When service call is modified
where Status equals Resolved
AND User Feedback (*) equals Not Satisfied
User Dissatisfied Notification to Manager (Send e-mail message) , Send to: [Caller;Organization;Manager;E-mail, Subject: User is not Satisfied with Service Call [ID] Resolution, Message: Details...

ID: [ID]

Caller: [Caller;Name]

Description: [Description]

Information: [Information]

Solution: [Solution]

Engineer: [Assignment;To person;Name]

Closure Time: [Actual Finish], Attachment Classification:

Hope it helps.

Swati

Tim Schmitt_4
Honored Contributor.
Solution

The field "Manager of Organization" does not show the manager of organization that a person is related to.

The "Manager of Organization" field shows the organizations that the person manages.

As an example, let's say that you have an employee named Suzy Supertech who is a member of the Desktop Service organization. The manager of the Desktop Service Organization is Max Manager.

If you look at the "Manager of Organization" field for Suzy Supertech, you will see that it is empty, as she is not designated as the manager of Desktop Service.

If you look at the "Manager of Organization" field for Max Manager, it would show the Desktop Service Organization listed because that is the organization that Max manages.

I had recommended that you make a custom field to store who the manager is for the employee as a work around.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

Ok, what I've done is:

1. Created a Custom 'Mgr' field for Person Entity with a reference to Person item.
2. Added this field to a Person form and updated it with required person searchcode.
3. Created the rule with e-mail action [Assignment;To person;Mgr;E-mail]
4. For new Person items to be created I've made an UI rule to automatically update the 'Mgr' field in accordance to selected Organization.

Everything worked fine!

Thanks all.

P.S.
How can I Request for Change from HP to fix this bug?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Alexander,

HP are not making any enhancements to 4.5 and in version 5, it is not quite the same.

Regards
Ruth
Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

You mean, there isn't any enhancement for both 4.5 and 5 verisions? Maybe I misunderstood you, but I didn't mention anything about 5th version. What did you suppose to say?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

I meant that version 5 handles email addresses on workgroups differently.

HP are not enhancing version 4.5 and reject any enhancement requests you try and raise for 4.5.

They will still accept ERs for version 5.

Hope this make sit clearer
Ruth
Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

You mean, HP is not going to fix errors in its product named SD 4.5 anymore? Then why new Service Packs are being still released for? In my case it is an occurrence of an incorrectly operating feature which in fact should work as it is intended to. So, IMHO, it must not be considered as a product enhancement, but rather an error fixing. Any ideas?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi alexander,

HP are not accepting ENHANCEMENT REQUESTS.

The SPs are for actual bug fixes, and as there is a workround for your issue I would not expect that HP would give it high priority.

Hope this makes it clearer

Ruth
Alexander T.
Valued Contributor.

Hi, there

All I can say, HP just skeeves its responsibilities! It's not fair to call an actual bug fixing as an ENHANCEMENT, when we talk about such a glitchy software. Workaround is only a temporary solution, and it doesn't resolve the issue comletely!