Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

FTP Error: 500 Invalid Port command

Highlighted
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

FTP Error: 500 Invalid Port command

Hallo;

I have already ask this question in another thread but wrong topic. I hope now that anyone here already heard from that issue. The problem is that I receive the above mentioned error when I try to open an attachment of a service call or if I try to save one where I put an attachement on.
19 REPLIES
Ashly A K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: FTP Error: 500 Invalid Port command

Have you seted up the FTP server in Tools->System->System Pannel->Attachmnet Settings.

And you should have FTP running on the system, whcih you set for saving attachmnets. And you need a local user created for FTP.

If you have all in place, then try to telnet to that system with ftp port and make sure that it is fine.
We have this done and working fine in our enviromnet. Let me know, if you need anymore help.
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

Actually we experience this problem not on all clients only some of them have this error. The settings are all ok I guess, because it worked for couple years now. We had some update of the whole image (windows)those guys are looking at it also. May be some one has another idea.
Thanks
Oguz Kutlu Asi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

I've also faced that error before. There is a known error corrected with service pack 15.Some clients that have two network interface cards in the same system are getting the following error message when they try to attach a file in Service Desk:

FTP-Error: 500 Invalid PORT Command

Workaround: Disable one of the network interface cards on client.

http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc;jsessionid=C9DF4665717F3F0461B31C5931B91950?docid=ITSM006533

What's right is right, whether or not God exists
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Howdy,

The above post is correct about the two network cards. Most often this happens with devices that have a wireless card and the users then return and dock their workstations without disconnecting the wireless card. In general, having 2 network cards attached simultaneously is a snafu to be avoided, so it would be a good idea to ask users to disconnect their wireless whenever docking or else have them use wireless all the time. Unless you want them routing packets with their workstations that is. :P

Thanks,
Chris
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

I just tried it but same error...dam..
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

what service pack are you talking about is that a open view service pack or another one?
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

You will have to restart the Service Desk client for sure after disabling the card, and it may also be wise to restart the machine as well.

Service Pack 15 is an available service pack for Service Desk 4.5.

Thanks,
Chris
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

ok thanks for the information, we are on SP 9. Do you think that is why? BTW machines were all rebootet after switching off wireless.
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

We're on SP10, and I only see that error when someone has both cards on simultaneously. I wouldn't upgrade to SP15 just to fix that issue, since no one should have two network cards running at once. (Causes other networking issues.)

If the devices were rebooted, are you sure it didn't re-establish connection with the wireless network when they came back up? Sorry, just not clear if you disabled the wireless or physically removed the card and wanted to verify.

Also, is it possible to try physically disconnecting one of the affected devices' network cables and use just the wireless for a moment? It would be a good idea to verify that we're on the right track, so this would be a good troubleshooting step to make sure we can get it to work when there's definitely only one network connection.

Thanks,
Chris
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

yes we made sure the connections were disabled, they even removed the card at last and even then same error message. We have this on a windows 2000 clients and on older computers it works and on the newest image from windows what they updated it does not. Some idea what might cause the trouble.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

I've had the same problem with 2 NIC's. Fixed simply by swapping the two cables over. Never understood it fully but someone sugegsted it was something to do with the primary NIC being on the wrong LAN connection. Whatever that means....it seemed to work in my case.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Alright, so can you ftp to the server manually from one of the affected client machines? If you can't ftp, it's still a networking issue or maybe an OS problem. If you can ftp, then you've got an SD client issue.

If you don't have an FTP client, go to a command-line and type "ftp [your server]". Then try changing directories and maybe retrieving a file. See if anything looks out of the ordinary.

Or you could just try SP15 if you want to overkill it.
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

it seems to be an os mistake...we are closer to an solution. if we have one i let you know. btw we are connecting to the server over vpn
Guy Salomon
Super Contributor.

Hello:
You mentioned that the "older Win 2000" systems didn't seem to have this problem. Are the problem systems running Windows XP? And more importantly SP2.

SP2 automatically turns on the firewall function and that could be causing your error. I ran into that issue myself. Further maybe the users turned on the firewall themselves even if using SP1 or none at all.

Hope this helps, G
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

Hello,

we solved the problem, there was a mistake in the cisco vpn, after uninstalling the cisco and reinstalling the cisco vpn the mistake does not appear anymore.

Thanks for your help!!!
moralesj01
New Member.

What was the fix on the Cisco VPN Concentrator!? You state it was a problem with the Cisco VPN, but not what the fix was. We are experiencing the same issue, but have not been able to determine the fix.
Please advise.
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

What they just did was to uninstall the Cisco VPN Client and reinstalled it. We also made sure that if the client were connected to the network, that the wireless network card was disabled. Then everything was fine and worked. What actually went wrong with the VPN Client nobody knows...hhhmmm I hope that will help. Meanwhile we have SP 15 and nobody is experiencing the error.
Leon B_1
Super Contributor.

Hi All

This error can be related to NAT and port negotiation. Have you tried using Passive FTP in the attachment settings?

Cheers,
MSEMEA
Respected Contributor.

just to give you feedback, using passive ftp does not solve the problem.