cancel

FTP Attachements alternative

Highlighted
amykoh
Outstanding Contributor.

FTP Attachements alternative

Hi all,

Im in a little dilemma here.

I'm implementing Change and SLM into an environment.

In every Change Request, a number of documents are required for viewing prior to approval.

In normal circumstances, attachments can be made to the particular Change Ticket. And can be viewed by those who open the ticket.

Q1: Can attachements be viewed via Service Pages?
Q2: Can attachments be view through the approval page?

However, in my case, my environment disabled FTP. Therefore, SD is unable to have attachments.

Are there any other ways to go about 'attaching' the necessary information on to the ticket?

I had an idea to create 65K text fields on the form on multiple tabs.

Q3: How many 65K text fields can I have on a form?

Anyone else implemented other methods?

Thanks,
Amy
5 REPLIES
Gyula Matics_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: FTP Attachements alternative

Q1 and Q2: no, unless you add the functionality yourself by modifying the SP source code.

Q3: There is only one 64K text field in SD. But if you are running SP18, then you can add more 64K fields. I don't know if there is a limit.

Another method is to store the attachments somewhere on a file share or web server, and then put links to these files on the form. (in text fields).
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Q1: Can attachements be viewed via Service Pages?
Out of Box the answer is no. SP can be modified but yo uhave to code it yourself. Some previous posts should have details on this.

Q2: Can attachments be view through the approval page?
Again, Out of Box for SP the answer is no.

Q3: How many 65K text fields can I have on a form?
Only one as by default OVSD only gove you one f these fields. SP 18 has the functionality of unlimited fields but I dont think this extends to additional 64k text fields.
Terry A. Moir
Outstanding Contributor.

You could develop a small web app to hold the documents, then link them to a Service Desk record (using the Service Desk record ID in the web app as a way to 'group' the documents). Then develop a Service Desk Change Request Action to open the web app & related docs by passing the URL & Service Desk record ID.
Vasily Kamenev
Acclaimed Contributor.

hi
Are you know so you can store only links to documents in fileds? as http://xx.xxx.doc or ftp:// or \\server\public\doc , etc. and this link is active after SP7. perhaps this way more economically?

Vassili
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

As previously said regarding Q1&Q2: the out-of-the-box functionality for ServicapAges does not provide access to attachments. However it can be added (we have done that several times).

For Q3 the answers you received is true as well.

What I have suggested few times here is to make replacement for lib_ftp.jar that woudl support different methods of attachments storing (like SFTP, FTPS, database, ...). We are able to make this if there's enough interest (that means you have enough funding ;-)