Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Exporting Services, SL, SLA from test to production.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
sandeep_
Honored Contributor.

Exporting Services, SL, SLA from test to production.

Hi,

I have a few queries:
1. Is it possible to export SLM details such as Service Definitions, Services, SL, SLA, Metrics and so on from a test server and import it to production and would this affect anything in production? Assuming that SLM was never being used at all in production.
2. Is there a particular sequence in which these details should be extracted/ exported and then imported? Please provide me some details and the steps.

Regards,
Sandeep
4 REPLIES
jconsola20
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Re: Exporting Services, SL, SLA from test to production.

Yes, you should be able to use Data Exchange to export the data out of one DB and import them into another.
The Data Exchange administration guide is a good place to start.
As far as the order of export/import is concerned. It kind of depends on what you have related to each other. You will want to import the objects and then their relationships so that connection does not have to be recreated manually.
Peter Dent
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

1. It is NOT possible to export things like Service Definitions, Services or SLA from SD using ACES. You can export some sevice details such as Service Level and Service Status. However when I've tried to export Service Leve in the past the import fails because it says there are no Support Hours. Yet I have entered the support hours and the whole thing has been tested and is running on our test environment.

2. Given the limitations of ACES and exporting Service information all you can try is to export the Service Level information.

This is not very useful at all because you have to manually re-create the Services on the live server. Then if there are any UI or DB rules associated with the new services you will have to ammend them once imported because they will have "NULL" values in them where the name of the service should be.

All in all a very time consuming and error ridden procedure which is caused by the shortcomings of the ACES feature.

Document your changes from the Test environment well to ensure you can reproduce them exactly in the Live environment. Introducing new Services and SLAs requires a lot of manual work.
sandeep_
Honored Contributor.

Thanks for the explanation guys. Actually understood both the ACES and Data export/import features.

Regards,
Sandeep
sandeep_
Honored Contributor.

Exporting and importing the SLM details is possible. Need to first import the objects which are required fields in the subsequent objects. ACES export/ import is done for configurations.