Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Export problem to Excel

Highlighted
Nyan_1
Honored Contributor.

Export problem to Excel

Hi,

I have a problem where when I export the view to excel some data are not export and the cell contains square like blocks instead of data.

please see attachment as an example.

thanking in advance
9 REPLIES
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Export problem to Excel

hi,

this is an ongoing issue and hence i normally do not export instead follow the below mentioned workaround which you may also try:

1) create a customized View / modify the existing view with all required fields in the view
2) Go to File --> Print Setup --> Table
3) Go to File --> Print Preview
4) now, when the data is displayed in a preview, I either copy, go to excel and paste the contents, or
5) Click on "Publish..." button and save the output in an html format. you may still open this html file via excel

hope this should resolve your issues.

raman
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

a small correction.

it it "File --> Report Style --> Table" and not "File --> Page setup --> Table"

raman
Nyan_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

I think the problem is with service desk view

please see the attach file. this is the screen shot of the view and as you can see the fields have black blocks. is there anyway to fix it?
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

you have included the "information Field" into the view and those black blocks that you see on the view is nothing other than the "enter keys" or the new line characters which we cannot do to remove them.

raman
Nyan_1
Honored Contributor.

ok thanks

but it never use to do that. is there anyway of changing the format or something for the future. any advice is welcome

thanks again
Nyan_1
Honored Contributor.

Hi

forgot one think. it doesn't export all the info either into excel. any idea to fix it
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

hi,

the only way that i think for now is to export into html format and try opening that in excel.
however would try for myself and if i get to know of any workaround that solves this, i would definately post it for you

raman
Nyan_1
Honored Contributor.

ok great thanks so much. my email is nyan.win@vcontractor.co.za if you come up with any solutions.
Robert Champion
Respected Contributor.

You could just run a macro in the XLS file to remove the unprintable CR characters.

Macro would look like this.

Sub Macro1()
' Remove CR from column E:E
'
Columns("E:E").Select
Selection.Replace What:=Chr(13), Replacement:="---", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False
End Sub

Obviously change "---" to what ever makes sense for you.

Regards,
Rob.