Experience with SD5.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Inge Heijnen
Outstanding Contributor.

Experience with SD5.0

Hi all,
Who of you is using SD 5.0 and how is it doing?
Thanks all and bye
Inge
11 REPLIES
HWANY
Super Contributor.

Re: Experience with SD5.0

hi..

i am under the project to OVSD 5.0
but many problem is happening. I heard that OVSD5.0 SP1 appears in March. and The localization is not supported yet.

good luck.
Michael Lutfi
Outstanding Contributor.

yeah same here using SD 5.0...facing some issues of things not working the way i want them to...and yes a few issues here and there which unfortunately the manuals are not helping with at all at the moment...i feel with the first SP they MUST release better manuals for the new features specially...

Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Michael and Hwang - can you be a bit more spcific about some of the problems? I"m just about to start implementing V5 so curious. Thanks....Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
www.erite
Respected Contributor.

Is there anyone with SD 5.0 in production?
Michael Lutfi
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

Inge check out http://support.openview.hp.com
click on the link: Use self-solve knowledge search

From there check out some of the known problems :D

Need I say more
Michael Lutfi
Outstanding Contributor.

By the way just to add to the previous post. SD 5.0 is amazing in comparison to SD 4.5 in my opinion there is a huge improvement in the SLM 5.0 for example and integration with Reporting Metrics...in my opinion are serious enhancements...

The little quirks here and there are part of living with HPSD but I am sure most of us love this product...and you are taking the right step by using the forum here which by the way is my starting page :) and it will become part of your daily routine I am sure, once you start working with HPSD and not just to get fixes and ask questions but sometimes to suggest neat ideas because people alway have things to share about HPSD.

What are your major concerns??? Like what are you worried about in implementing SD 5.0

What I would be more concerned with is: does HP have a good record of fixing these known problems??? I will leave you to just read some of the previous known problems and judging that for yourself.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

I agree with Michael - every version of SD has its quirks and bugs....and its great features. I was able to be a guinea pig on the beta training for SD5 and am generally impressed with it. The whole SLM side is hugely revamped (and now very complex but very flexible).
Some issues:
- "Match Case" check box has been lost from ADvanced Find
- if setting up or changing roles you need to restart the service for the role change to take effect (a caching bug I believe) - this is described in the Readme on the install CD. That caused us a few problems and hopefully is fixed in SP1!
- Incident now has a table of affected Services rather than a single Service field.
- but rules, data, presentation much the same
- the new Location entities are customisable and can be used on Service Calls etc (eg for "Service Site".

I'm doing the design for a new client installation now - about 3 weeks away from starting to build, so will see how it goes.
Cheers...Ken.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au
Inge Heijnen
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi all,
Especially Michael :-)
I'm well aware of SD and it's tricks.
Always fun to try and get things working my\your way.
However, I have had a more than once not so nice surprise when installing service packs or even new versions.
I find this forum a great way to get a feel for how good a new sp or release is.
Therefor this question.
And I must say your(all of them) answers are helping us in making the disicion to go to 5 or not.
Thanks for the input.
bye
Inge
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Inge,

We (Fox) are just starting to get to grips with v5.0 and my main observation is that unless you are intereseted in serious SLM I would wait until it is more stable.

V5 has some nice other enhancements in change management as well as things like a location entity, but there are some usability issues we have found and bugged, including;

1. Cannot now do Ctrl+O and type in a number to go straight to a record with that ID.

2. It does not remember the size of a zoomed window - you have to resize it every time

3. The permanent quick feature (grey box under some fields on a form) has gone. HP have logged this as an enhancement request which I think is a bit unsatisfactory as it was a fully supported feature in 4.5.

These problems would probably not affect a new user of SD but existing users might have issues with them.

Hope this helps

Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Inge,

I liked SD 5.0 for its new functionalities and no reliances on MS JVM anymore.

There is now single sign on via ldap and brand new SLM functionalities which looks really complicated and installation of thin java client from the web server.

Lots of new bugs like:
Banner no longers provide different colours via parameter settings.

If not using default apache port, the oracle online help may not work anymore.

I hope that helps.
Inge Heijnen
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks all for your info.
At the moment it would give more problems then solutions for us.
Thansk again.