Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Experience having millions of CIs in SD 4.5?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Rosario Garcia-
New Member.

Experience having millions of CIs in SD 4.5?

Hello,

I'm looking for inputs from somebody with experience having several millions of Configuration Items in SD 4.5 DB. One of our customers is going through some changes that could result in an approximate total of 7 Million CIs including Parent and child related CIs.

Any tips, hints and experiences shared will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Experience having millions of CIs in SD 4.5?

Hello,

Currently we have 2251170 CIs (at some point we had about 4000000 but we deleted the expired cis).

High number of any entity tends to slow OVSD down, however with CIs the things are much worse cause
1. CIs have more fields than any other entity
2. CIs have more relations than any other entity

Make ABSOLUTELY sure than in DE tasks with CIS no custom field is used as unique keys. Use only one of SEARCHCODE/ID/SOURCE_ID

Make CI forms as simple as possible. Avoid to have "Relation Sets" on CI forms (like Parent/Child/Used by Service/Service Calls...etc) because it will slow down dramatically opening an item.

Make CI views simple. Create the appropriate DB indexes for fields that presented in views and used as filters.
menes fhtagn
Rosario Garcia-
New Member.

Re: Experience having millions of CIs in SD 4.5?

Hi George,

and thanks!. This really helps as it adds to other considerations I had in mind.

I will leave this thread open in case somebody else has also some experience to share.