Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Event Read in OVSD 4.5 SP12

Highlighted
Jason C. Basket
Trusted Contributor.

Event Read in OVSD 4.5 SP12

I am trying to setup views that will allow an individual to see whether they have read/viewed the events. This is kind of like message read in Outlook, where a message has not been read shows up as bold. Please note this is on the individual user and not system wide.

We currently have a web based tool that will show the event as red (if the user has not read any of the event), yellow (if the event has been updated since the user last viewed it), and green (if the event has not been updated since the user last viewed it). We are in the process of transitioning to OVSD and the users would like to keep this functionality in the new tool. The users are mixed using the Java Client and WebConsole, so it would be nice to have this working for both.
3 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Event Read in OVSD 4.5 SP12

Jason,

There might be a way to do this, but it will probably be too complicated to implement and maintain, and might require the Web-API

You would need to set up a custom field to contain the information as to whether or not a user has read an item. Each time they open the item, an UI rule must update that field with the user's identifier. Each time the item is otherwise updated, this field needs to be reset, probably by a DB rule.

Finally, you need to set conditional formatting in the view based on the value in this field.

If I were you, I would not try to force an application to have functionality it was never meant to have. This is not the way you are supposed to decide whether or not an item requires action. You make this decision based on the assignment, the status, the priority and perhaps the deadline. You do not waste time by browsing the items.

-Josh
Jason C. Basket
Trusted Contributor.

Josh,
I looked at this and see that I would be able to set a UI rule that would concatinate "(Current Person)," to the custom read-only field when a user opens an event and then clear this field out completely with a DB rule once it is updated. The only thing that I can't figure out how to setup the view's autoformat that will allow me to see if the (Current Person) is in the field. Basically, [Event ID Read] does not contain (Current Person), then set to Bold.

With this logic any event that the user has not opened or has been cleared via DB rule would show up as Bold.

Jason
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jason,

I said it would be complicated.

Suppose you have a boolean field which is tested in the autoformat configuration of the view. You would then need some external logic to decide whether or not to set that boolean field. The external logic would test the value of the boolean field, as well as some other field containing the data for all the people who have read the record, and then decide if the boolean should be set.

-Josh