Evaluate this rule when this field has been changed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Evaluate this rule when this field has been changed

Dear All,

I have been managing my ServiceDesk 4.5 sp15 system for a while. And already on production.

But I still wondering what "Evaluate this rule when this field has been changed"

What the different if I check this checkbox or not?
If u have any real example, please share with us.

Currently I'm trying to create a repeated alerts when the status changed into "Pending" and not changed after 7 days, 14 days, and so on.

Any new idea will be appreciated too.

Thanks and Regards,
Eric
8 REPLIES
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Evaluate this rule when this field has been changed

Hi Eric,

here's the explanation for "evaluate this rule when the field has been changed"

Selecting the â Validates only if one or more fields of
conditions are modifiedâ will cause the rule to be evaluated when
one or more fields that are specified in the conditions for the rule are
modified. For example, if you create a rule that is triggered when an
item is modified and a condition is set for the information field, the
rule will only be triggered when the information field is modified. If
the check box is cleared the rule can be triggered whenever any field
in the item is modified.

And for the other question, even i am eager to know how to configure and would love to hear the solution.

raman
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Raman,

Ok, Now I'll try to confirm again to make sure I did not get you wrong. what if I have a rule with 2 condition. One for "status", then the second one is "assignment to". I checked the evaluate check box for "status" item only. What I thought here, that the rule will run 'only' if we change the "status" field. (CMIIW)

Did you mean item = field] ?

Thanks,
Eric

Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Eric,

In that case, the rule with be triggered when either of the fields are changed or when both the field values are changed.

raman
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Do you mean whatever happened, then the rule will run?

Sorry if I get you wrong...

Thanks,
eric
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

what if I have a rule with 2 condition. One for "status", then the second one is "assignment to".
In this case, since you have checked the evaluate check box for both, whenever you changes values on these two fields, then only this rule will be executed. If you modify only one of these values, then this rule will not be triggered.

If you want the rule to be executed only when the status is changed, then include only one condition which says Status is anything and check the "Evaluate check box". This rule will execute the condition whenever you make changes to the status field.

hope this helps.
raman
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

I think Raman is confusing you.

Having two fields in the condition BOTH with the check box set means that the rule will fire whenever EITHER field changes and the value in the other field matches.

So a STATUS(*)=Pending AND CATEGORY(*)=Incident rule will fire for an Incident which goes to status Pending OR a call at status Pending which has its category changed to Incident.

Just having the STATUS(*) set means you are firing only when this changes but checking the other field has the correct value.

Not having any stars is generally dangerous because it means the rule will fire EVERY time the call is amended and the conditions are true. IE someone adding a comment to the Information field will fire my rule if the STATUS and CATEGORY match.

To achieve your "every 7 days" alert you will need to schedule the STATUS check 7 days into the future (after Registration;Modified is a good one unless you want it on Create). The action should the STATUS still be PENDING will be to do the alert AND amend a number custom field to add 1. Then the conditions for your rule can include "AND custom number (*)= anything". ie the rule first fires when the STATUS goes PENDING but fires again in 7 days coz the number went up by one.

Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your explanation I'm understand now.

Currently I'm trying to use your suggestion (Very brilliant idea. Thanks!). So I Add a new field to handle number. I call it "Count" field.

I have activate this field for all category, but do I have to show this field in the ServiceCall form in order to work or I can just use this field without showing this field? I tried to not show this field and it didn't work.

But if this one is not the problem, then I'll have to find another problem.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

One more thing mike,

I just noticed my Registration;Modified field on all SC are empty!...

Where's the option to make the system fill this field?

Thanks,