cancel

Error when DB rule tries to update Service Call

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

Error when DB rule tries to update Service Call

We have a rule that does some concatenation then moves the contents of one field to another. The final step clears the original field. Just about a week ago we started to see this in the logserver.txt file.

"Wed, 19/04/2006 12:22:39 A problem occured while executing rule "ABS-Update Work Log History" for "Servicecall" with ID 831464 :
Item cannot be saved, because another user has changed it after you opened it."

We are running OVSD 4.5 SP11 on HPUX 11i with Oracle 9.2.0.5 for a database.

We have restarted all our app instances and it didn't help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Error when DB rule tries to update Service Call

Hi Robert,

Does the statement "The final step clears the original field" mean that you have the action to clear the field as the last action in the rule which does the concatenate?

In our experience, we have found it safer to have it in a separate rule whcih we ensure is that last DB rule to be obeyed.

Hope this helps but if it does not can you post a screen shot of the rule(s)

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Van der Vennet
Honored Contributor.

i agree with ruth, better make an UI rule when opening the call the specific field is cleared.

rgds,
L
we have been where you wanna go..
Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you for the quick responses. Yes, the clearing of the field is the last action in the DB rule that concatenates. We will try to split the actions up as advised and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Rob
Rach Pepperdine
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Robert,

I've seen this issue before. It could be, if this rule worked before, that the ordering of the rules has been altered. Within the rule view in the admin console, ensuring the view is a list only, move this rule up to the top of the list using the arrows at the top of the screen. This ensures these rules are executed first so the record is not updated by subsequent rules.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Rachel
Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for the advice Rachel. That was one of the first things I tried. It is currently the first rule in the list.

Rob
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Robert,

we have seen this in the past and the solutions above resolved the issue. have a seperate rule for the clearing and watch where the rule is in the ordering.

Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

We have split the actions up over two rules and we are still seeing the problem.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

can you post all the rules used for this please?
Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

Does changing the order of the rules take effect imediately? (just making sure there isn't some kind of client sync issues contributing to the problem)
Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

Part 1

When service call is created or modified
where NOT (Work Log (*) is empty)
Update Current Timestamp (Update Data) Current Timestamp set to (Current date),
Update Work Log History (Update Data) Work Log History set to (Concatenate ----------
With (Concatenate [Registration Modified by Login name] With (Concatenate
With (Concatenate [Current Timestamp] With (Concatenate
With (Concatenate [Work Log] With (Concatenate
With (Concatenate [Work Log History] )))))))),
Set Clean Up field to True (Update Data) Clean Up set to true

Part 2

When service call is modified
where NOT (Work Log is empty)
AND Clean Up (*) equals Yes
Clear Work Log (Update Data) Work Log set to (Make empty),
Clear Clean Up (Update Data) Clean Up set to (Make empty)
Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

Sorry got in a bit of a rush. Part 1 is actually Rule 1. Part 2 is actually Rule 2. I have placed the rules in different orders and it hasn't made much difference. We only have 14 rules total for the Service Call module.

Rob
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Robert,

To order rules, you need to be in the System view of rules (NOT by category) and then use the arrows on the toolbar until you have the rules in the order you want. Note that this can be a real pain as it can be very slow and it can be difficult to be sure you are altering the order in the way you expect.

We have the "clear" rule as our last rule and the concatenate one(s) as the first.

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Robert Gilley
Trusted Contributor.

I think we may be seeing these problems due to some kind of performance issue. No matter what I do with the rules it doesn't seem to change the fact we are still getting the errors. I think I am going to do some performance tuning and see how it goes over the weekend. Thanks for the help with the rule ordering Ruth.

Rob