Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Error opening pdf-attachments

Highlighted
Caroline Kraaij
Respected Contributor.

Error opening pdf-attachments

Opening pdf-attachments in Servicedesk items results in the error message: "there was an error opening this document. This file is already open or in use by another application".

This seems to be caused by the following:
Servicedesk gets the attachment (with the long numeric file name) and stores it under the name 'dummy' in the temp directory (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\a\Application Data\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\Service Desk\tmp). Next, Servicedesk copies this file 'dummy' to the original attachment file name (as seen in the Servicedesk item, so not the long numeric one). Adobe Reader is supposed to open this file en present it, but most of the time Adobe wants to do this before the copying has been finished. One could say that Adobe starts too soon.

Files in other formats (e.g. MS Word, Excel, Outlook-msg) do not give this error. When saving the attachment to the desktop and opening it from there, it opens right away.

Our versions are Servicedesk 4.5.22 and Adobe 8.1.2.

Any help is very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Bye,
Caroline

2 REPLIES
fyz
New Member.

Re: Error opening pdf-attachments

Hi,

It is probably the pdf file is damaged or something. If necessary, you may try Advanced Access Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/aar/ It recovers several important Access MDB files for me and is really helpful!

Alan
Caroline Kraaij
Respected Contributor.

Re: Error opening pdf-attachments

The attachments are not damaged. But thanks anyway.

I tried with different attachments, even new ones. I also tried another reader, but this gives similar errors.