The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message: java.lang.NullPointerException

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marcela Miguel

Error Message: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi!!!!

When the analyst tried to save a Service Call
appeared a error message:
"java.lang.NullPointerException".

This event is happenning with frequency. I cleanned the cache but the same happenned.

Have you any idea about what I can do?

Regards,

Marcela.

35 REPLIES
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Re: Error Message: java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi Marcela,

When I get this error, I reset (delete) the views.dat file and it starts working.

If this persists, then it's also possible that the host entry to your SD server is not stored properly in your Client system. Add the entry in the host file of your system for your server.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Marcela Miguel

Saurabh, hey!

I´m sorry for the answer but...Let´s go:

Can you supply me step by step for add the entry host file system for my server on the Service Desk?

Regards,

Marcela.
Marcela Miguel

Any answer?
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Marcela,

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Open this using notepad.

At the end of the file, make the follwoing entry:

1.2.3.4 sdserverhostname

where 1.2.3.4 is your IP address for the SD server, and hostname of the same infront of it.

Save and close this...

Hope this helps....

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Marcela Miguel

Saurabh, hi!

I have a test with my users and this message appears only Explorer views. In others views, this error dont appear. I cleanned the cache, I reset the views.dat and I intserted Ip and hostname on the computer but the error persists.

What can I do? Is it possible other solution for this problem?

Regards,

Marcela.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcela,

Can you check if you have blocked some particular field which is working as a relation in the explorer views? Is there anything common in the views throwing this error?

Regards,

Saurabh
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Hi Marcela,

Well I got this similar error in different case like when i was trying to put Approval strategy field on the view then I got this error..Later on I found that the value to this field in database if some complicated which makes it difficult to be viewed on the view list...May be similarly you are trying to put somthing in the call or as Saurabh said, blocked any field due to which you got this error...
Test for one call in which you write only description in the call and save it..check whether it is giving you the same error again?

Regards,
Akhil
Marcela Miguel

Saurabh/Akhill, hey!

My Service Desk version is 4,5. No Patches installed.

A1 - I dont have any blocked some particular field wich is working as a relation in the explorer views.

A2 - This error is intermittent. Sometimes happens, sometimes dont happen. There is not nothing common in the views Explorer.

Is it possible which this error be a bug?

Please, check my screenshot and you will see what fields are into the view.

Regards,

Marcela.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcela,

I suggest you open the client.log file in the logs directory in the directory where views.dat is located. The error will be there in detail. That will probably make it clearer.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Marcela Miguel

Saurabh, hello!

I´m sorry for delay...
Please, can you check my logclient.txt for to verify the error?

Regards,

Marcela.
Marcela Miguel

The log file...
Marcela Miguel

Hello, Friends!

How can i resolve this problem? Just SP?

Regards,

Marcela.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcela,

Just checked your log file. It seems to have the error while launching a dialogue box, hence i will go back to my first theory... Check if there is a relation that is failing...

You can try to upgrade the SP also...

Can you tell me which of the explorer views are failing??

Regards,

Saurabh
Marcela Miguel

Saurabh, hi.

Partly, your conclusion is correct.

1. When I inserted any register on the Service Calls fields this message appears.
2. When I save a service call, this message appears;
3. When I open a new Service Call on the Explorer view, this message appears again.

Please, check my screenshot for more informations.
Marcela Miguel

Any more answers?
Marcela Miguel

Any other opinions?
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcela,

you could try this to see if you can get any additional details about the error. On the system that has the problem launch the client from a command line with the following switch "sd_client.bat /debug"

Generate the error and an when the error screen appears an option should be available to you for debug information.

You will have to run the command with the full path name from the command line. See what additional details my be generated or post back any results

c:\program files\hewlett packard\servicedesk.....\bin\sd_client.bat /debug
Marcela Miguel

Mark, hey!

I am sending my sd_client.bat for you.
Please, check my screenshot.
Marcela Miguel

Mark, hey!

Please, check my screenshot.
Marcela Miguel

Mark,

I made what are you say me. I am waiting the screen error to see what additional details will be generated, ok?

Please, discredit my previous posts.

Regards,

Marcela.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcela,

no problem. When you generate the error there should be an extra option to choose to get some additional debug details.

Best of luck.
Marcela Miguel

Hi Mark and Ruth,

I generate the error but the extra option didnâ t appear to choose to get some additional debug details.

What did you happen?
Marcela Miguel

Any answer?

Cheers,

Marcela.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcela,

I'm not quite sure why you have attached a screenshot of the sd_client.bat.

Just to confirm you should have launched the openview client by the following command and switch from a command line which in turn would have launched the OVSD client with the possibility of an extra option in the case of an error being generated. If you followed this and the client did not provide an extra option for further details then we don't seem to be able to generate any aditional details.

If you have a default install the command to run is

C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\bin>sd_client.bat /debug
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event