Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Entity Refrence to Workgroups in contracts

Highlighted
PatrikT
Respected Contributor.

Entity Refrence to Workgroups in contracts

Hi
we are currently running SD4.5 SP26. I would like to create a new entity ref in a contract to a workgroup. this is not feasible out of the box.
I have been looking in this forum and found several threads wehere they mentioned the use of costum fields, but I would like a reference to actual Workgroups not to a drop down list to be administered by me (the admin).
Does anyone have a clue ?
Kind regards,
Patrik
2 REPLIES
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Entity Refrence to Workgroups in contracts

When you use custom fields, you can only create entity reference type fields that already exist for such item type. This means that because Maintenance Contracts has an out-of-the-box field of the Organization type, you can create other Organization type fields, but the same does not apply for Workgroups because there are no out-of-the-box Workgroup fields in the Maintenance Contract module.

Let's see if this excerpt from the SP20 addendum (p. 243) can explain it better:

<<
A custom field of an Service Desk item can only refer to another Service Desk item that is already used in another field.

For example, for a Configuration Item, you can select a Person or a Service as value for "entity to".

This is because Configuration Item already has lookup fields for those items. You cannot select Service Call or Problem as "entity to", because Configuration Item does not have fields to lookup values of those items.
>>

Hope this helps.
Points and pints are welcome.

The Pike
PatrikT
Respected Contributor.

Re: Entity Refrence to Workgroups in contracts

hi Pike,

As I already was searching in the same addendum, I was slowly convinced I would not be. Nevertheless you never know with SD, that there would be other ways to create.
You have confirmed my suspiscion.
Thanks !
Patrik