Go to solution
Highlighted
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

End User Customer to see Ticket Updates/History Lines for related issues

Hi,

This is a big one.

SD 4.5 SP10. Win 2k3.

I have people calling inn logging tickets as Service Calls. If qualified as incident, we create an incident call and link them together. The updates are made on the incident and I want the customer to be able to see them.

This is what I can do:
1. Allow them access to incidents (if possible)
2. Create some rule/manual action that quickly copies the updates to the Service Call history Lines.

This is what I can't do:
1. Log everything as Service Calls and not relate it as incidents.
2. Double the effort put in by engineers, by telling them to make two updates everytime.
3. Buy more licenses and give them concurrent access.

I know this is a very stiff situation. But any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance...

Warm Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
7 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: End User Customer to see Ticket Updates/History Lines for related issues

Hi Saurabh,

we create problem records and relate them to the service calls. In order for the user to see the updates in the problem record we have a DB rule that passes the updates from the problem record to a text field in the service call. This update only happens the next time that the problem is modified as I don't want to use a schedule task in the DB rule to trigger the update.

It does cause a time lag between updates but the customer can live with this. We are investigating if we can pass more details back from the problem record (from a process point of view).

Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

An example of the rule is below. It is simple but we do make updates to the problem records during that day which trigers the update to happen.

When problem is created or modified
where NOT (ID is empty)
Update Service Call With Problem Updates To Text Field
(Update Data) Service call;Information set to [Information]
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. But there are two issues in this.

1. I have to pass the details into History Lines, since that is the field in which the End Customers will look for updates.

2. The updates are being made into History Lines of Incidents, hence this doesn't exactly solve my issue, as History lines can not be used as an attribute in Business Logic.

Still help required....

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Saurabh,

should have mentioned that we have a running diary field that all updates are entered into. This field is visable on the Service Pages for service calls (some modification required)
We don't use history lines.

Can you use the Web-API to update the history lines?
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

2 queries:

1. What is a running diary field? (apologies if it's something common and I can't understand it.) and what customizations does it require?

2. I haven't ever used web-apis for this purpose. Can you help me in a little more detailed format?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Saurabh
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Saurabh,

We have the 64K field set to read only for all roles. We have a 4k field that the user enters in updates for the call. When the call is saved a number of rules adds a timestamp, the name of the person that updated the call and a carraige return before appending the update. The next update is handled the same way so we build a running diary in the 64k text field. This way we don't need people to read history lines as all the updates are in 1 field (we havent run out of space in the 4k field to date)

It needs a few rules to work (one of which requires multiple concatenations).

I will post more details on the rules if you want to lok at this. For the web pages we had to edit son eof the .jsp fields for the users to use the information field on creating a service call and to see the details field when viewing a logged call.

I dont use the web api at the moment but saw some recent threads saying that it can be used to update history lines.
Saurabh Dubey
Honored Contributor

Thanks guys...

Solved the issue with your help...

Regards,

Saurabh
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event