cancel

Email update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

Email update

I haven't tried to update service calls by email earlier, but now that I'm testing this feature there seems to be a problem. When I send the update email, I get the confirmation "You updated service call". Then I open the service call, and the update that I sent is saved as an attachment to the service call, so the data in the service call fields doesn't update.

I though that email update should work the way that when I type in the email for example Description = something else, the description field should get that value. Have I understood the whole idea wrong or is there misconfiguration somewhere? Thanks for your help!
14 REPLIES
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Email update

Hi,

just as a test try to update a few code fields of an existing call only and see if that works.

If you update e.g. the history lines and the text update is bigger than 255 chars the update will be saved as an attachment - its just to eliminate this.
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for your reply. I tried to update for example the following fields:

Description = something else
Medium = Phone

Both of these resulted as a new attachment to the service call.

The confirmation email that I get says the following:

You have updated the following fields for Service Call 50,259:
---------------------------------------------1 Attachment : Validation OK

Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

the other thing to check is the format of the email itself - does this happen when you send it as plain text (rather than html)?

Hope this helps

Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Ruth,

The problem seems to have something to do with plain text / HTML email format. I've had "HTML and plain text" in my email client's options this far, but now that I changed the option to "Plaint text only" the email doesn't go through at all. It gives now the following error:

The E-mail you sent has not resulted in the registration or update of a Service Call.
-
The following error(s) occurred:
---------------------------------------------

There's no error code or description of the error in the email.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi there,

Can you post a few more details - screen shot of the email etc

Regards

Ruth
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

Screen shot is attached to this message, but it doesn't really provide any information what caused the error.
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

And here's a screen shot of the Update settings in Service Desk.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sorry - I meant the screen shot of the original email sent

Regards

Ruth
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

Ok, here's an example of that too.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi there,

Did you put anything in the "SMTP
identifier" field on the SMTP tab on server settings editor?

If you did try setting it back to the word default and restart the service nad try again.

Hope this helps

Ruth
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

I'll check that out if you tell me where can I find that setting? The system has originally been configured by someone else and I'm not sure where to find server settings. Thanks.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you can fine it as below:

Start
Programs
hpopenview service desk
aplication server
open the server setings editor
SMTP TAB
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

SMTP identifier is currently the address of the server where Service Desk is set up, so I guess we'll try to set it back to default. I'll test it when it's more quiet than now.
HPK
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you Ruth and Mark, it seems that the email update works now after changing SMTP identifier back to default.

I'm still curious to know that does this change possibly affect to something else in the system, because as far as I know we've had Service Desk server address in SMTP identifier for a couple of years already, and haven't faced any problems related to it earlier. SMTP identifier setting seems to be skipped in Service Desk's installation guide, so do you know what is this setting exactly used for?