Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Email notification with DB rule

Highlighted
Gail D
Super Contributor.

Email notification with DB rule

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way within a db rule to send an email notification to individual user's email address (not assignment to group)?

I've tried:
[user@hp.com]
[user2@hp.com]
and
[user@hp.com][user2@hp.com]

But neither seem to work.

Gail
5 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Email notification with DB rule

Gail,

In the address of the email, try, for example,

[Assignment;To Person; E-mail]

If you want to hard code the address, just enter it without the square brackets.

-Josh
Gail D
Super Contributor.

I tried it before w/o the brackets but it didn't seem to work but I'll try again and I'll try the assignment to person. don't recall seeing that options.
Gail D
Super Contributor.

forgot to meantion that this is a CI db rule which does not have the option [assignment to person; email]. the assignment to workgroup won't work about the CI is assigned to groupA but the email needs to go to groupB which has 3 people. If I remove the brackets, the email only goes to the first email address. I also tried a semicoln between email address but that doesn't work either.
Any other ideals?

Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Gail,

If you hard code the email address, it must be without brackets. Example:
owner@company.com

If you use the email address of a person playing a role for the CI, then it must be in brackets. Example:
[Owner;E-mail]
In this case, the field you use must be of Person type (and the Person needs to have an email address).

A final possibility is to have a field that contains the email address you wish to use. Example:
[FieldWithEmailAddress]

-Josh
Saurabh Dubey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Gail,

There are two pointers to your requirement:

1. When adding email IDs, if you hardcode the ID (as suggested), you should not use brackets. Just the ID is enough.

2. When multiple IDs are specified, you need to seperate them using either semi-colon (;) or comma (,).

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Saurabh
Modesty is good!! But remember, all your life other people will try and take your achievements away from you, don't make it easy for them.