cancel

Email integration in HP Service Desk 5.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Asrith
Regular Contributor.

Email integration in HP Service Desk 5.0

I am trying to use the outbound email option in Service Desk. How will the integration of service desk with SMTP server happen. Do I need to plan a separate SMTP mail server apart from the Service Desk Application server.
Also, I am trying to FTP XML files from another application to the application server of Service Desk. Do I need to plan a separate FTP server or is it possible for service desk application server to receive the XML files into a folder in one of the drives planned for it. Any info would help.
6 REPLIES
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Email integration in HP Service Desk 5.0

Outgoing email will need to be sent to an SMTP server on your network that can then forward using standard SMTP mail. This is normally a gateway server in your email infrastructure. Service desk will communicate to this server using SMTP but it is not a store & forward server (if it fails to send the email then it does not retry).

Yes you need to install an FTP server service but this can be on the app server - why do you want to send xml files? Are you going to load this data? or is it just a store?
Asrith
Regular Contributor.

Thanks fro your response Jonathan.

The scenario that I am facing is that of integrating Service Desk 5.0 application with Peregrine(now HP) Assetcentre application 4.4. As of now, Assetcentre has a ETL tool called Connect_IT which extracts the configuration data from AC Database in XML files and then FTP's it to Service Desk Application server. Both the application servers are on Windows 2003 server. The OvObsLoadObject CLI in Service desk would be used to load these XML files into the CMDB. This is conceptual as of now and is being tried.

I am under the impression that Win2K3 OS has the FTP service in-built and we can invoke a script through a batch job to transfer the files from one folder of Assetcentre application server to a folder in Service Desk Application server.

I am trying to put a design for this and need inputs if this is possible. Any help is appreciated.
Sean Almond
Honored Contributor.

You may wish to look at OvObsImporter to load the xml rather than LoadObject. It is designed for use with XML where this is more difficult with LoadObject.

Watch out for the XML headers which are produced with the incorrect syntax for ovsd. You may need another DTD file for this.
Sean Almond
Honored Contributor.

If you uploads into OVSD are sceduled rather than interactive look at using ObObsImporter rather than LoadObject.

It is design to take XML imports.

Careful with the xml format from AC as you may need an alternative dtd file to be created for the import to be successful
Asrith
Regular Contributor.

Thank you Sean and Jonathan for your response. Appreciate your help
Asrith
Regular Contributor.

I am new to HPOV Service desk. Could you elaborate on DTD file.