Email Setup Issue - Unable to determine inbound email address

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Email Setup Issue - Unable to determine inbound email address

Hi

(HPOVSD 5.0)
We are using 2 different domain names, one for the internal network, and another as email domain name. DNS is set up accordingly.

We have configured email setup like this:

Outbound E-mail:
E-mail server: exserver.networkdomain.com
SMTP Port: 25
From Address: servicedesk@emaildomain.com
Reply To: servicedesk@emaildomain.com

Inbound E-mail Addresses:
sd11@networkdomain.com
sd12@emaildomain.com

The reason we have both these E-mail addresses, is because we can't get any of them to work, so we've created both for testing.

We've tried SMTP to port 25, which is working fine, up the point where we're entering recipient - neither addresses is recognized as valid recipients.
We keep getting the error: "550 No such user here".
Mail From-address was among the allowed addresses in the E-mail access filter.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

regards,
Thorfinn Thomassen
15 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Email Setup Issue - Unable to determine inbound email address

Hi Thorfinn,

You say "Mail From-address was among the allowed addresses in the E-mail access filter" - have you tried with no allowed or denied addresses?

Please post screen shots of how you have set up email and the log fiel entries (with email debug switched on)

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

1) Does outbound mail work i.e. from OVSD to users?

2) For inbound mail i.e. users to OVSD have you created a "connector" record in your email system to point / route to the OVSD server when either of these 2 addresses are used. Your email server needs to know where to send the mail for the 2 addreses
sd11@networkdomain.com
sd12@emaildomain.com
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Hi,
Thank you both for quick replies.

@Ruth:
Yes, I have tried with an address that is not in the Allowed to-filter (we have no denied-list), and it made no difference.
I don't think the check for filtering happens at SMTP server level.

Email Debug is switched on, but there's no entries in the log.

@Mark:
1) Outbound email works just fine. Outbound email is sent via exchange server (another physical server), and I find entries for these actions in the log.

2) I have not yet created the connector to the HPOVSD server, because this testing isn't going very well. As soon as I can validate one email address as a valid inbound email address, I will se up the connector. That is why I am testing using telnet on port 25. Our email server is in other words not an issue (yet) when it comes to inbound email.

regards,
Thorfinn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

inbound email is for creating new calls and has some options. You can specify that it checks the e-mail address against the person records to "allow" the call to be created if the from email address is used in a person record. For the purpose of testing maybe don't use this option.

To test successfully you will need to create the connector from the email system to OVSD and send in some test emails and watch how they behave - look at and delivery failure notices etc. I don't think just doing some SMTP commands against the OVSD server will be too effective. It is not actually a mail server.
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Thorfinn,

If "Email Debug is switched on, but there's no entries in the log" then this means that your email system is not sending it on to the HPSD application server. You need to look at your email server and check where it is sending things.

Regards, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Hi,

I am aware that Inbound email is for creating new service calls - and updating existing calls. That is exactly what we want to do.

Before I can set up a connector, I need to have a valid recipient at the HP OpenView Service Desk server. When you Telnet to port 25 you do exactly the same as the exchange server (or any other external email system) would do towards the SMTP server HP OpenView Service Desk installs on the local server. When it fails to work using telnet, it will fail to work with external email servers as well.

What I am asking is what email address to use as inbound email address - ie how to activate it, or whatever is missing in the setup.

To clearify any possible misunderstanding: The Telnet session I have been referring to has been towards the HPSD server, NOT the email server. Port 25 happens to be the SMTP port that any external email system must use to send email to the HPSD server. And they need a valid email address (valid locally on the HPSD server) to be able to do so.

regards,
Thorfinn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

you need to set up a connector record on your email server to point these 2 addresses to the IP address of an OVSD server that has the SMTP enabled. I would recommend just setting up one inbound email address to begin with and point it to one of the OVSD servers.

You may need some configuration in the admin consloe to set up allowed inbound email addesses and to allow calls to me registered from non person records (for initial testing) to beging with. This information should be in the admin guide for OVSD 5.x.

Do this and then test and you will then generate some meaningful errors if it is still not working. Besk case scenario is that it will work.

i don't hink you will get very far until you at least configure it and test it rather than relying on the SMTP commands to test.
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Hello again,

To do the initial testing which I am attempting, I need no external email system at all, because it all happens locally on the HPSD server.

I use (on the HPSD server console) a cmd window, and do the following:
-------------
>telnet 127.0.0.1
220 hpovsdserver.networkdomain.com 01 00 SMTP Service Ready for input.
ehlo
250 Hello nice to meet you.
mail from:
250 OK
rcpt to:
550 No such user here.
QUIT
>
-----------------
All this is identical to the hidden dialogue between an external email system (for instance MS Exchange) and the HPSD server that has SMTP enabled (which is clear in the session described above).

The syntax used is SMTP, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, as described in RFC822, which is the protocol the servers use for speaking with eachother.

I still do not know what a valid email address looks like, and that is all I really need to know. The HP documentation tells me nothing, and the email addresses I have tried to set up using the E-mail settings in HPSD doesn't seem to work, although SMTP _is_ enabled.

regards,
Thorfinn Thomassen
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

set it up the way it should be set up and then test it by sending in emails. You will generate far more errors if it wont work that may point to the source of the problem that what you can currently get with the SMTP commands.

You need some to make some admin console settings in the email section which should be detailed in the admin guide or the install guide and specify the inbound email address.

Good luck.
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Hi,

Thanks for putting up with me.

1. It is (as far as I know) set up the way it should be. The email server has not yet been configured to send email to the HPSD server because we have no email address for that setup.

2. The reason why Outbound email address and inbound email address are different is that we do not want users in general to send any email to the service desk server. Email to the service desk FUNCTION in our organisation is sent to the outbound email address, which is then handled by the service desk agents via MS Outlook.

3. Inbound email address will be used by web applications to create new service calls, and maybe later to modify existing ones. The server it set up to use New command as default.

4. We do not wish to do any changes to the email system in our organisation until we're sure that we have an existing email address to send the emails to. And so far the simple SMTP tests has shown that we do not have that.

regards,
Thorfinn Thomassen
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

I am making the assumption that OVSD 4.5 and 5.x email functions are the same.

1) You have configured outbound email which you have tested. inbound email is not completly configured until you add in the connector (I assume you have an inbound email address set up in the admin console)

2) I need to check to remind myself but you need to specify the inbound email address (as opposed to the outbound email address)

3) This needs to have the connector set up to point email server to OVSd for the specified inbound email address. The other option is to use the sd_event to create new calls and not needing inbound email

4) The inbound email address has to be specified in the admin console and a connector set up to point the mail server to the address. Do you have a test environment to do a proff of concept? Make a temporary change to your system for testing purpose and then remove the connector after testing - I still think you should do this to generate more errors to identify the casue of the problem. So far you don't have too much to go on.
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Hi,

Thanks again. I am not familiar with the HPOVSD 4.x system. The 5.0 server apparently installs a SMTP server to handle inbound emails, which uses SMTP according to RFC822. This is what allows me to test the HPSD setup using telnet to port 25.

1) The connector on the email server is not part of the Inbound email setup, because you do not need to have one specific server as source of inbound emails. Any SMTP capable system can be set up to send email to the HPSD server, including self-developed softwar, programs like BLAT, and so forth.
Quoted from the Admin Guide: "Service Desk can accept e-mail messages from any standard SMTP based e-mail application."

2) Inbound email addresses are specified. BUT (and this is what this thread is really about), I am not sure whether I can specify any address (any domain name) and have this as a valid address. The admin guide has example using:
From Address: youremailaddress.yourcompany.com

And Inbound email addresses:
helpdesk@company.com
support@company.com

The From Address (or the reply address, if specified) is the default address for replies from end users when replying to automatic generated outbound emails (from Database Rules). We do NOT want this address to be any of the inbound addresses, because these emails are not supposed to be handled automatically.

4) We do not have a test environment because the licenses for such an environment are almost as expensive as the licenses for the live environment. Not a wishful situation, but the reality we have to relate to.

regards,
Thorfinn Thomassen
Lisa Denison
Super Contributor.
Solution

Hi Thorfinn,

We have 4.5 SP23 not 5.x, but like the others I presume the email setup is still pretty similar.

- In System Panel -> Email, the inbound email addresses we have defined is just the first part - ie we have 'helpdesk' mapped to the 'inbound email call' Service Call template. We don't have a full email address listed.

- in our email system (Exchange 2003) we have a connector defined as sd.[company].co.nz which forwards all mail to the Service Desk server IP.

- if I send an email to helpdesk@sd.[company].co.nz, that creates a Service Call.

- if I send an email to testing@sd.[company].co.nz ('testing' is NOT a defined inbound email address in Service Desk), I get an undeliverable "550 No such user here", and the following 2 lines are written in the Service Desk server log file (email debugging is on):

Tue, 08/01/2008 14:48:05 Started parsing E-mail
Tue, 08/01/2008 14:48:06 Ended parsing duration: 813 ms

It sounds like you've defined your inbound email addresses as the full email addresses - try just 'sd11' and 'sd12' and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Lisa
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

Hi Lisa,

Thank you!
That was exactly my problem - I had full email address defined as Inbound email.
The reason for this was that I didn't know what domain name to use (thought I had to specify that somewhere).

What puzzles me now is that after registering two Inbound email addresses, sd11 and sd12, I can put sd12@microsoft.com as a valid recipient, while sd13@networkdomain is not valid. It looks like only the name matters, not domain.

But the main point is: My problem is solved!
Thank you very much!

Regards,
Thorfinn Thomassen.
Thorfinn Thomas
Super Contributor.

My problem was that I tried to define Inbound email addresses as full email addresses (with "@domain"), instead of just the user names.