Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing custom field size in HPSD 4.5

Highlighted
Dan D_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Editing custom field size in HPSD 4.5

I have very recently (read: yesterday) started to administer our companies HP service desk, and have been given a list of problems that users would like fixed.

One of these problems is that several fields on our Service Call form have a character length that is too short.

Is it possible to edit the field size? If not what would my options be?

All help is appreciated :)

Regards,
Dan
4 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Re: Editing custom field size in HPSD 4.5

Hello Dan,

You can't resize a text field. The string types are predefined: 1, 40, 50, 80, 255, 4000, 65536.

You can activate a custom field of different size or if you are on SP19 or later create a new custom text but the size selection is limited to the list above.

Truth is that you could alter a type of a field by altering directly the db (for example convert a 80 chars size string to 255) but
1. You're going loose HP support
2. Unless you know *exactly* what are you doing (that means a very good understanding of OVSD layout) you're going to have trouble.
menes fhtagn
Dan D_1
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi George,

Thank you for the reply. I had a feeling that would be the case, and so here is my next question.

If I were to remove the old field from a form, and replace it with a new field of the same name but with a larger text length, then what would happen when trying to view previous records that had data in the field?

Would the records cause an error when opened? Or would data entered in a field that was no longer shown just not be displayed? Would it allow for previous records to show in the old version of the form?

Would I have to run some sort of database rule that would copy all entries in the old version of the field into the new version of the field, for all previous records?

Hope that makes sense :)
George M. Meneg
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,

Have in mind that some fields (like Description) cannot be substituted.

But to answer your questions you could replace in forms the old fields with new fields. If you don't copy the old fields to the new fields for the existing tickets they would be appear as empty. Same with views.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan,

you would have to move the data from the older (smaller) field into the new field to ensure that users could see the data.

You can export the data and import it into the new fields or sey up a rule to move the data and use update all to trigger a condition to fire the rule to move the data.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event