Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

E-mail address for Logging Responding Wrong E-mail Messages

Highlighted
fgssl2
Respected Contributor.

E-mail address for Logging Responding Wrong E-mail Messages

Hi,

I activated inbound e-mail on service desk and it works fine.. but I wanted to send all the errors caused by invalid e-mails sent to SD (like a more than 80 character subject, or a person who does not exist in SD) to a mail box.

So I wrote down an e-mail address on the "E-mail address for Logging Responding Wrong E-mail Messages" text box that exists on the administrator console (system panel -> e-mail -> general) and it doesn't work..

Does anybody know what's wrong?

Thanks
5 REPLIES
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: E-mail address for Logging Responding Wrong E-mail Messages

Certainly sounds like you have done it right. It works for us.

I assume other outgoing email works fine. Is the address in the same email domain as the other outgoings?

Do the logs provide any clues?

Cheers
fgssl2
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

Outgoing works fine.. I'm attaching some screenshots of the E-mail configuration.

The logs don't say anything relevant either :(

Thanks
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Filipe,

what happens if you manulally send an e-mail to that address using your e-mail client. Does it get delivered or do you get a delivery failure.
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Filipe,

A couple of things of note. If the from address and reply address are the same then it is possible to get an email loop if someone has out of office assistant or some other auto reply on. Although the email administrators may be able to prevent this also. Basically Out of office assistant with exchange will go to the from address not the reply to address - so if the from address is mailbox (or public folder if you use exchange?) that your help desk keep an eye on then you are safer from loops.

Probably also nice to have the 2 bottom fields with different addresses. The "Wrong" email messages are those that might need manual follow up but the others are only useful in confirming an email went out - usually ignored and normally there are lots of these.

But back to the problem. You could log onto the server and make a telnet connection on port 25 to exlbtp.imobdom.sonae.spgs and send manually to rcastanheira. The following URL will help with the smtp commands.

http://www.yuki-onna.co.uk/email/smtp.html

Cheers
David Borojevic
Outstanding Contributor.

As well the send test email to the address is a good idea but note that I get an error message popup when i send the test email, but the email does get through - so I assume you can ignore the popup?

Reply with how these tests work.

Cheers