Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Duplicate OU names - problems importing users.

Highlighted
Anthony Livings
Super Contributor.

Duplicate OU names - problems importing users.

Hi,

We have been using Service Desk 4.5 SP9 for a while now.

We have had some problems with duplicate OU names where user's details do not get imported correctly into Service Desk if they are contained in an OU with a duplicate name.

Simplified eg:
root/Site1/Admin/user names
root/Site2/Admin/user names

Although the users are in different OU's the OU's have the same name (Admin) and hence the problem with importing from AD.

We have been told this is a limitation of the the product and all OU names should be unique:

"The data import from Active Directory has a number of limitations due to the way Service Desk operates. These limitations include:

·Any OU name that is not unique in AD may not be correctly populated with AD users."

We have scores of OU's and the structure is quite complicated and we don't really want to have to change it.

We are going to be upgrading Service Desk to the latest version in the next few months. Is there still a problem with duplicate OU names in the latest version, is there a work around available, or do we need to restructure AD??

Many Thanks!

Anthony.
5 REPLIES
Akies
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Duplicate OU names - problems importing users.

Hi Anthony,

Though the OU's are same but the path is different and I think there should not be any problem in this because I m also importing the data from different locations with same OU..

Can u post the ini file that u are using?

Regards,
Akhil
Anthony Livings
Super Contributor.

What ini file do you mean?

This was originally set up over two years ago and I wasn't involved at the time.
From what I can see there ate scheduled tasks that fire batch files which call VB scripts to export AD details to an XML file.
The XML file holds all the correct user details.

More VB scripts then import the XML file to Service Desk.

We have been left with a document that states that Service desk will not be able to import users correctly if they reside within a duplicate OU name. Apparently this was confirmed with HP tech support at the time for Ver 4.5 SP9 for Windows.

Originally the AD structure followed:

root+
- Site1\users
- Site2\users
- Site3 etc...

AD has recently been restructured as follows:

root+
- Accounts+
- Site1\users
- Site2\users
- Site3 etc...
- Security+
- Site1\users
- Site2\users
- Site3 etc...
- etc...

The OU's are imported into Service Desk daily and an Organisation exists for each OU.

During the import the users OU is mapped to the Organisation field in Service Desk. Ie. if a user is in OU 'Site2' then the Organisation field in the Person record should be 'Site2'.

The problem is there are 5 OU's and hence 5 Organisation CI's called 'Site2' so the import doesn't know which one to put it in.

During the daily import User_Import.log shows 445 instances of:
"Processing USER (id = xxx)
More than one item found with this 5. while processing attribute OU"

Where a duplicate OU is encountered the import doesn't map the OU to Organisation at all and either leaves the field blank or doesn't update it if it was previously populated in the Person record.

We are planning to upgrade to the latest version of Service Desk and need to know if this problem of duplicate OU's has been addressed or if there is a work around to correctly populate the Organisation field during the import.

I have logged a call to HP support and am awaiting a call back.

Anto.
Akies
Outstanding Contributor.

Anthony,

the ini files are config files in which we define the structure of the AD from which we are going to capture the information..

Go to "\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\data_exchange\config\" and there you will get the *.ini files.

Thse files are used in sd_export and sd_import commands to create xml files.

Try to see your batch files for example and see which ini file they are calling..Go to the path I have mentioned and open it.There you can get the path of AD,it's username and password etc..

Regards,
Akhil
Akies
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Anthony,

I found the problem here.

See in original ini files, you may be having path like:

PRINCIPAL=cn=XXX ,ou=users,ou=Site1,dc=root

But now when the AD structure has been changed,so it sould be:

PRINCIPAL=cn=XXX ,ou=users,ou=Site1,ou=Accounts,dc=root (for Accounts)

PRINCIPAL=cn=XXX ,ou=users,ou=Site1,ou=Security,dc=root (for Security)

That's it!!! Your solution is here!!

You can see the difference here.

Regards,
Akhil
Anthony Livings
Super Contributor.

Still not sure what ini file you mean.

There are 23 ini files in this location - none of them have the entries you describe!

As siad the LDAP export of AD to the XML file works OK and has the correct info in it.

A batch file then runs with the following line to call sd_import:

call sd_import system servicedesk shovsd01 -data="%fpath%user.xml" -mapping=Users

sd_import contains:
---------------
@ECHO OFF
cd ..
set IMPORT_CMD_LINE_ARGS=
:setupArgs
if %1a==a goto doneStart
set IMPORT_CMD_LINE_ARGS=%IMPORT_CMD_LINE_ARGS% %1
shift
goto setupArgs
:doneStart
jview /cp lib\hotfix.jar;lib\servicepack.jar;lib\JClark.zip;lib\common.jar;lib\sdcommon.jar;lib\ms_interfaces.jar;lib\import.jar;lib\ui.jar com.hp.ifc.ext.imp.ImportXmlCim %IMPORT_CMD_LINE_ARGS%
cd bin
---------------

How do I determine what ini file to look at??

A.