Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Drop down list custom field with SP81

Highlighted
amykoh
Outstanding Contributor.

Drop down list custom field with SP81

Hi,

I'm tryin to create drop down lists in SD4.5 with SP18. But I cant seem to create it.

The only option closest to it is Entity Reference which is a lookup field.

How can I do this in SP18?...Prior to this I was able to..

Thanks
Amy
5 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Drop down list custom field with SP81

Hello amykoh,

You cannot create "trully" a new code. You can rather create a reference to an existing one with a different name. It's like creating an alias for the existing code that can be used with a different name.

For example if you create a "New Service Call Classification" as entity reference to "Service Call classification" what you actualy create is a reference to the existing code, thus both will have the same predetermined values.

(I mean the base values, in a service call these fields can have different values but from the same value "pool")
menes fhtagn
amykoh
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

hmm...thats doesnt sound very efficient.

But then it still doenst help me in creating drop down lists?...

Any ideas on that?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Amy,

The above will have a defect on you only if you have used ALL available code items.

If not, open Data/Custom Fields and expand Service call. Expand Entity Reference and there you can find the available custom codes. Find an unused (normaly named Service call Code xx) double click to open it. Give it a name, select a display formt, check "Activate" and select in what categories it should be active.

After creating it and activating it, go to Data\codes\Service call. You will find it there and you can begin entering values. A refresh or client restart maybe is needed before you see your code available in Data/Codes/Service Call
menes fhtagn
Mike Bush
Acclaimed Contributor.

So what we are saying is that once again HP provide 95% of a required facility but miss the final point. If you cannot add a CODE then it can't really be called "Unlimited Custom Fields" can it?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well, you can say that.

On the other hand a "code" is very different from a number or a string and tree like codes (like closure code or classification) are even more complex, at least the way HP implemented them.

Each "tree code" is stored on its own table while the other codes are on its_codes and rep_codes but the only real difference between two is just another column, the "parent".
menes fhtagn