Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Downgrade from SP25 to SP23

Highlighted
Michael Gregor
Outstanding Contributor.

Downgrade from SP25 to SP23

Hi all.

I have downgraded our application server from SP25 to SP23, so far so good. Then I ran the sd_dbconfwizard on a older version of the database (SP21). However, the wizard converts the database to SP25 anyway, then says that upgrade has failed due to the database beeing SP25 and application server beeing SP23.

Any know how I should solve this? There must be something related to the sd_dbconfwizard that upgrades the database to SP25 but I don't know what. How to make it upgrade the database to SP23 instead?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. We have a Solaris platform for our app.server.

Michael
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Downgrade from SP25 to SP23

Hello Michael,

Downgrading SP is not possible. Not that you cannot do it but you are going to run into problems sooner or later.

The only safe rollback from SP25 to SP23 is to restore the DB from the latest SP23 backup.

Of course this means that you have to export all changed items since the last backup and yest, this is a nightmare.
menes fhtagn
Michael Gregor
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi George!

Yes I did that. I restored an older SP21 database, downgraded the application server from SP25 to SP23, and ran the sd_dbconfwizard to convert the database from SP21 to SP23. To my surprise it was converted to SP25 instead. The wizard terminated with an error saying that the SP23 application server cannot connect to the SP25 database. Strange.

Michael
Nige Bell
New Member.

Hi Michael,

It might be worth having a quick look in "/opt/OV/sd/server/repo/tables/upgrade" to see what files are in there - these are the files that are used to run the necessary SQL to do the setup/upgrade of a database.

Not sure how you went about downgrading the software but it may be that the SP24 and SP25 dsd and rsd files are still in there (they'll have names like 4.5.0588sp2401.dsd and 4.5.0588sp2501.dsd with matching rsd files).

I've never tried it (thought I'd get my excuses in early if it all goes wrong ...) but you could try moving these files somewhere else if they are there.

Hope that helps,
Nige.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Michael, this is not my point. A database upgraded CANNOT be downgraded because you are going to have problems and not because the task is impossible.

I have done it with a disaster we had with SP14. I managed to downgrade the db to SP13 but the application server has several problems because from version to version there are changes to the very db structure.
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

"...Yes I did that. I restored an older SP21 database, downgraded the application server from SP25 to SP23..."

Ok so you have an old copy of the DB at SP 21 version. Do you also have a backup of the application server at an SP below SP 23? I am not convinced that "downgrading" an app server will suffice in this instance either. If you don't you could try to build a new app server and upgrade it to SP 23 - connect it to the DB at SP 21 level and try upgrade that - I caution you to test this before hand and to have additional backups available of the SP 21 database.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

Sorry Michael, I didn't read carefully what you've wrote.

Mark is right, installing SP23 over SP25 doesn't "downgrade" the server. I have seen this. I even deleted "servicepack.jar" but the one of the newer version appeared after the installation. The only solution I found was to complete uninstall the new version and install the older version from the scratch.
menes fhtagn
Radovan Skolnik
Acclaimed Contributor.

Micheal,

besides DB there are files on the filesystem in: server\repo\tables\upgrade that are used each time you run dbconfwizard Database Upgrade. With each SP comes files that are added that contain DB changes with particular SPs. So to be on safe side, you should also restore file structure besides database itself.

Hope this helps.