Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Does OpenView not know there can be more or less then 7 days?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Izzy UK
Trusted Contributor.

Does OpenView not know there can be more or less then 7 days?

Please help me with the rule attached.

If the call has not been updated (registration modified) in the last 7 days the call will open the the assignee will get emailed telling them to update the call!!

Thats fine.

But I want to email the manager if the call has not been updated in the last 10 days (hance 3 days grace) but OV wont let me chose X days?? I got this week, last week, this month, last month, last 7 days, next 7 days.

I can put in +10 but that just adds 10 days to time I wrote the rule giving me a hard date.

Any thoughts - maybe I am going around rule altogether wrong and should use the scheduler for 7 and 10 days ahead :) but didn't want to deal with deleting the scheduled action if the call is updated or goes to closed.
4 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Does OpenView not know there can be more or less then 7 days?

Hi Izzy,

This will not work because the act of triggering the rule will have altered Registration;Modified to be now effectively.

You need to use a scheduled condition but if you do this will generate a scheduled task every time a call is updated so could cause performance issues.

You do not need to worry about the deleting of the scheduled task - SD will do that for you when the scheduled time is reached whether or not it then takes the action.

Hope this helps, Ruth
http://www.teamultra.net
Izzy UK
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Ruth,

I thought that might happen. I guess the only way is to add a date feild that stamps each time the log history is added to and use that at my start mark.

Any thoughts anyone of how to get 10 days ago?
Ruth Porter
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hi Izzy,

Your issue is that even if you have capture the last time modified in a separate field, you can only cause that to be checked in one of 2 ways:

1. the record is amended - in which case it has been updated and so not be picked up

2. using a scheduled task - this is the ONLY way you can detect inactvity

Of course a simpler approach would be to use a reporting tool and schedule a report to run daily to list all the SCs which have not been updated in the last n days.

Hope this helps, Ruth

Don't forget the points even if it is not the answer you would have liked!!
http://www.teamultra.net
Izzy UK
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Ruth,

I already do send reports weekly but we need pro-active action and would like to use this method to encourage good habits i.e updating each week.

Thanks for your help. I will work on a new rule with your advise in mind.