Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Disable Service Call Field

Highlighted
Sharon F. Santi
Honored Contributor.

Disable Service Call Field

I have a service call field (type :Boolean) that I'd like to be enabled only when the user logged-in to the the OVSD client is one particular user that I have chosen (who should have the only write access to that field). All users presently belong to one role.

Can this be done? If yes, how?

Thanks!!!
7 REPLIES
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Disable Service Call Field

Hello Sharon,

The best approach for these kind of things is role management. You should create two roles with different levels of access.

However it can be done even without using roles. Just create a UI rule that will be triggered before item is saved. In this rule you should check if the boolean is changed and if current person is not the person you want to have access. Then a message of ERROR type should be presented to the user. The message *must* be of ERROR type or else the user will be able to ignore it.
menes fhtagn
Sharon F. Santi
Honored Contributor.

Hello Sharon,

The best approach for these kind of things is role management. You should create two roles with different levels of access.

However it can be done even without using roles. Just create a UI rule that will be triggered before item is saved. In this rule you should check if the boolean is changed and if current person is not the person you want to have access. Then a message of ERROR type should be presented to the user. The message *must* be of ERROR type or else the user will be able to ignore it.

Hi George,

I tried your 2nd suggestion but it didn't work. I have created this UI Rule:

After an item has been opened
where NOT (Registration;Created by equals HRMALL Acebuche, Renee D.)
OR NOT (Registration;Created by equals HRMALL Brual, Sheryl C.)
Disable Reassign Field (Update Data) Reassign set to false

The Reassign field is a check box. Am I using the correct condition?

Thanks
Sharon
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello,

The rule should be like this:

Before the item is saved
where NOT (Registration;Modified by equals HRMALL Acebuche, Renee D.) OR NOT (Registration;Modified by equals HRMALL Brual, Sheryl C.)
AND Reassign equals True
ERROR (User Notification Message)

The notification message should be of ERROR type because in such case it won't allow the user to save the record.
menes fhtagn
Sharon F. Santi
Honored Contributor.

Hi George,

What if I don't want the user to receive an error notification? I want the reassign field to automatically be grayed-out based on the user logged in.

Is this possible?

Thanks!!!
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes it is,

Instead of ERROR message just set "Reassign" to false.
menes fhtagn
Sharon F. Santi
Honored Contributor.

Hi George,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it goes back to the rule that I created right? Or should i still include in the condition - Reassign is true?
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Sharon,

Your rule will be evaluated only on items created by these two people. My rule will be evaluated whenever anyone except those two, modify the ticket.
menes fhtagn