Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Difference between maintenance contract and SLA

Highlighted
amykoh
Outstanding Contributor.

Difference between maintenance contract and SLA

Hi,

Could someone tell me the difference between these tow and its usage according to SD/ITIL standards?...

Thanks.

Amy
6 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Difference between maintenance contract and SLA

Amy,

According to ITIL - and more or less followed by OVSD - an SLA is an agreement between the IT Service Provider and one of its customers, in which the services to be provided by IT and the levels of those services are described.

OVSD does not implement ITIL's underpinning contract, which is nothing more than an SLA between the IT service provider and one of its suppliers (but seen from the point of view of the "customer", that is, the IT service provider).

Instead, it implements the maintenance contract, which says nothing at all about Service Levels or exactly what services are provided under the terms of the maintenance contract. If you want to record this information, you need to create your own custom fields. For example, we have added fields to the maintenance contract to record information like response time, service times, and additional contact and escalation information. We also annex an electronic copy of the contract to the item.

In any case, OVSD will not do any calculations of statistics for activities governed by maintenance contracts. If you want that, you need to develop it yourself using UI or DB rules.

-Josh
amykoh
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the explaination.

Take for instancec, if I have a hardware and software maintenance contract with HP. Where do you think it should fall under?....MC or SLA?..

Coz within the maintenance contract with HP, there are also SLA's involved between HP and me.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Amy
Van der Vennet
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

if you have a maintenance contract with HP put it under maintenance contract.
btw, you have an underpinning contract with HP seen from the customer perspective and not an SLA.
Your providors do not make agreements with your customers, you make them. But they will help you achieving your SLA's.

Lawrence
we have been where you wanna go..
amykoh
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi,

So if the contract is made between me(the service provider) with my customer,its a SLA.

And HP provides hardware and software maintenance to the servers which I use to provide my server, technically, in OVSD's definition would be 'underpinning' services.

These underpining services 'should' be tied to a SLA for HP. Which can calculate the SLA towards HP.

If this the case, i don't see how maintenance contract comes to play in this scenario.

Unless, I'm understanding it wrongly...:)...

Amy
Van der Vennet
Honored Contributor.

Hi Amy,

this can be used for the subcontract calls.

be aware that you still have a third service type: the operations management service. This service is agreed within the IT org (service providor)..

Lawrence
we have been where you wanna go..
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.

Amy,

I think your understanding is correct. The problem is not with you, it is with OVSD, which does not really include the functionality we would expect in order to manage underpinning contracts.

It is true that you can use subcontract calls, but maintenance contracts do not contain any operational information that is exploitable by the subcontract calls. It just lets you know which contract covers the faulty CI.

-Josh