Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anybody migrate from sd4.5sp17 to sd5.1 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Vasily Aksenov
Esteemed Contributor

Hello all
Just want to know

Rgs, Vasily
12 REPLIES
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

Re: Did anybody migrate from sd4.5sp17 to sd5.1 ?

Is there anybody like that foolish enough to try? Just joking. But in the light of announcements from Software Universe in Vienna I'd stay with 4.5 and also would suggest new customers to go with 4.5 and not 5.1 unless they realy realy need some of its features that cannot be replicated in 4.5 Few only cannot be - like reworked SLM that is so complicated that I'd better stay with 4.5 ;-)

Now to your question. AFAIK the migration tools are still in beta and generally unavailable. You can download them from HP's FTP server but they are password protected zip files. I do not know the correct procedure to get the password and become beta tester but there are other ways (hint: look for methods of how to break zip passwords and you will succeed). Until the migration tools are officialy available I wouldn't attempt to upgrade any customer's environment....
Vasily Aksenov
Esteemed Contributor

Service Manager will be in the next century o)) (joke)
HP still did not start to programm it. I think that it will be not early than 2008/

Hello Radovan,

can you please post here the download path of the migration tools ?

Many thanks in advance,

Ondra
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor
Solution

here you go Ondra: ftp://ovweb.external.hp.com/servicedesk/Migration/ But remember - it is password protected. Search for zip password recovery (not brute force - there is a method that allows you quickly (in few seconds) recover the contents if you have some of the files inside the archive in unencrypted form).

Thank you, Radovan !

I will manage somehow with the password, thanks ! Ondra
Mark O'Loughlin
Honored Contributor

Just note that the migration scripts do not migrate everything!! All rules have to be migrated manually. There are other items that need to be migrated manually so this looks like a bigger task than it originally seems.
Vasily Aksenov
Esteemed Contributor

!! why did HP call it migration tool.
So does it migrate only data but nod rules, forms ... ?
Radovan Skolnik
Honored Contributor

That's why (because of the large amount of things not being migrated - see docs that come with the migration tools) I asked if anybody's foolish enough to try it. Even more the tools for migrations are in beta. And also because it seems there will never be any new features in 5.x - only bugfixes.
Vasily Aksenov
Esteemed Contributor

The problem is that we need to develop the solution, SLm ... etc.
We can not wait for 22 century when Service Manager will be released

o(((
Lars Grabowski
Acclaimed Contributor

(I'm brand new to Openview and SD/OVOW so pls. forgive me if I am asking questions on a less than perfect background :-) Do the issues with migration to 5.1 you are discussing also apply if you don't migrate but just want to do a "clean install" upgrade?
Sharon F. Santi
Collector

Hi,

Is there a new migration tool available today? Base on the comments here the downloadable zipped file is beta and I tried downloading it and indeed it is. We have a requirement to upgrade SD 4.5 SP 16 to 5.1 and I need a tool to make the upgrade easy.

Btw, is there also a way to retain all the dbrules of 4.5 when migrating to 5.1? I read in the forum that you have to create it manually. Will the ACES Export Wizard works?

Thanks,
Sharon
Vasily Aksenov
Esteemed Contributor

Hello
We are still waiting fot mig tool.
HP says it will be as soom as possible. I belive before 22 century
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event