Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Detailed email logs?

Highlighted
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Detailed email logs?

Hey everyone.

We have a custom field that acts as an "extra notify" box. So if someone needs to notify a distribution list of a certain request, they can type the distribution list address in the box. A business rule triggers a notification to that address.

The problem is this works consistantly in Staging but barely ever in Production. Being new to the OVSD Administration nightmare, is there any logs I can look at that might provide insight into why this is failing?
7 REPLIES
jconsola20
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Detailed email logs?

In the email area of the System settings their is a check box to enable email debug. This will give you details about whether email rules are triggering. You can see them in the logserver.txt file on your application server.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey J.

We have that checkbox checked, but no such filename exists on our server. OVSD 5.1sp1. Could it possibly be a different name?
Leon B_1
Super Contributor.

Hello

Does the email information appear in the normal system logs (system 1.1, 1.2 etc).

As for the cause of the problem, does the server have problems sending any other mail?

Regards,
Leon
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Leon,

Yeah I just started opening every log file last night and found the email send logs in the systemx.x.txt logs.

I don't know if the server is having trouble sending other mail. The logs certainly show a lot of mail-out activity but never for the distribution list addresses in question. The messed up part is it works perfectly (and logs the fact) in Staging. In production, the messages don't send and nothing in the log file shows a failure.

JaS_4
Acclaimed Contributor.

Check your system logs if the business rule is actually being fired.
Make sure the business rule is not blocked.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

I was thinking the same thing, but we've copied our production database over our Staging one once or twice since this problem was reported. I'm checking... but if the rule is blocked, the system must be doing that on its own.
-=R=-
Outstanding Contributor.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread and let everyone know what the problem was.

In the field label we had an example of a valide email address (fname.lname@domain.com). Turns out the "." in the LABEL caused all the misery.

Once we changed the label and removed the example, all emails fired normally.

Fun.