Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Default person Search code

Highlighted
Terry A. Moir
Outstanding Contributor.

Default person Search code

When creating a new person record, using the "Full Name" button to fill in a person's name, the default Search code is set to LastNameFirstInitial. Is there a way to change this default to FirstInitialLastName?

Terry
SD4.5 SP15
6 REPLIES
Dan Ioan
Honored Contributor.

Re: Default person Search code

Hi Terry,

Yes it is. But is a tricky one! In your default Person template type a "space" for default Search Code. After this, when you create a new person record after you have fulfilled Last Name and First Name your Search Code will contain just a space. I suppose that could be use other, non-printable, character but I don't investigate this.
Have some fun!

Best regards,

Dan
bpgraham
Super Contributor.

I'm running into a similar problem with search codes for configuration items. I plan to use our A/D usernames for the search code for the Person. It's something that all of our users know and it's unique. You may be able to import this along with the users FML name during the data exchange.
Dwayne A
Super Contributor.

Terry,

I solved this problem with a UI rule that set the search code after you enter the persons name. attched are screen shots of rule.

HTH

Dwayne
Raghunathan Tik
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Terry,

i had the same requirement from one of my clients and had to generate the Search code manually and then upload the search code along with other values like first name, second name and so on.

here's what i did to generate the search code:

1) Created a worksheet with following columns
Column A: Search Code
Column B: First Name
Column C: Second Name
2) in each cell under Column A, used the following formula
=LEFT(UPPER(TRIM(B10)&LEFT(C10,1)),50)

3) so whenever the first name and the last name values were fed into their respective cells under Column B & C, the search code is picked automatically.

try out this option

raman
Terry A. Moir
Outstanding Contributor.

Dwayne,

your solution is the closest to what I need - however I can't seem to get it to work. I think that it is because the condition for Search Code being empty is never met, as it is filled in automatically by the system after filling in the Full Name. I even tried taking this condition out and setting the initial condition to 'After new item has been opened' but still no go. Am I missing something? I have double checked that the rule is as you had attached.

Terry
Terry A. Moir
Outstanding Contributor.

Update...

Working with the example Dwayne sent, I managed to get the rule working by removing the condition relating to the Search Code, triggering the rule only when the person's first or last name changes, with the pre-condition of 'When a value has changed'.

Thanks Dwayne for leading me in the right direction.

Terry