Deadline Calculation: solution that worked in sp13 but not in SD 5.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Deadline Calculation: solution that worked in sp13 but not in SD 5.0

Hi,

Following solution worked perfectly fine with SP 13 but I am not able to use it in SD 5.0.

For Deadline calculation, we normally try to use addition of max duration with deadline.However there is no such diract method to add max duration with deadline.
We can use "Planned Completion Time" and "Planned Start" fields which are by default available and they are automatically calculated obeying the bussiness hours.

Before starting, let's take "Waiting for User" as pending status.

To use these fields, try to create following DB or UI rules:

1) Rule 1:

when call is created or modified, if status equals "Waiting for User" then Planned start = Current Time.

2) Rule 2:

when call is created or modified, if status NOT equals "Waiting for User" then :

Planned Completion Date = Current Time
(Explanation: Due to this, Planned Duration is set to the difference between system time when Planned Start was set (from rule 1) and system time when Planned Finish was set.ie. the time in pending.)

Planned Start= Deadline
(Explanation: Now Planned Completion Date becomes equal to Planned Start + Planned Duration(pending Time))

Deadline = Planned Completion Date
(Explanation: The Deadline is now extended by the elapsed time in pending status, taking into account business hours.Max Duration is automatically extended to accomodate the new value for Deadline.)

Can anyone suggest where I am wrong? I am getting an error that planned start can not be greater than planned finish.

The thread is open for suggestions.

Regards,
Akies
7 REPLIES
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor

Re: Deadline Calculation: solution that worked in sp13 but not in SD 5.0

Hi Akies,

We had this issue and we got round it by adding an additional action that set Planned Finish to about 2 years ahead before setting planned start to Deadline; this seemed to get round the issue.

Hope this helps

Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor

Rule 2 - Having calculated tour Planned Duration, I think you may need to "make empty" the Planned Completion before you set Planned Start=Deadline.
Mike Bush
Honored Contributor

Rule 2 - Having calculated your Planned Duration, I think you may need to "make empty" the Planned Completion before you set Planned Start=Deadline.
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Thanks guys for replies..

Ruth: I think your solution should work. But I have one doubt. Suppose I set planned finish = deadline+2 yrs then my duration field will also get extended to 2 more yrs. Then when I will set planned start and deadline then vll my deadline also extend by 2 more yrs? right? then shall I delete 2 yrs from the deadline again?

Mike: I tried you concept also but I forgot one thing that if I will make planned finish as empty then my planned duration will also become empty..

Regards,
Akies
Ruth Porter
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi there,

We use some custom date fields to hold things safe while we get the calculations done in the planned start and finish are done.

You may need to do this to get it to work in version 5

Hope this helps

Ruth

http://www.teamultra.net
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Full points to you Ruth!! I am sure that you solution will work..Thanks!!

The thread is open for some further related solutions.

Regards,
Akies
Akies
Occasional Visitor

Full points to you Ruth!! I am sure that your solution will work..Thanks!!

The thread is open for some further related solutions.

Regards,
Akies
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event