Database rule to fire every 2 hours if record not closed

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
AngieP
Respected Contributor.

Database rule to fire every 2 hours if record not closed

Hello
I've been using SD4.5 SP 10 for a long time and should know better, but I'm drawing a blank. After a service call is registered for a one particular client, I would like an email to fire off every 2 hours if the call is not closed. I can get the email to fire at the first 2 hour mark, but cannot get it to fire again at 4, 6, 8 hours etc. if the call is still not closed. I'm embarassed to ask, but any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance and I promise to promptly assign points!
3 REPLIES
Robert S. Falko
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Database rule to fire every 2 hours if record not closed

Angie,

To achieve this we set up two db rules: one rule actually sends the mail, and also updates another field (any field - we use a boolean). The other rule is triggered by a change in that boolean field. It updates a date-time field which, in turn, triggers the first rule. The first rule is executed 2 hours after the value in the date-time field, if all other criteria are also true (for example, as long as the call is not closed). You will need to initialize that date-time field when the service call is first created.

Make sure that the rules execute only once.

Good luck,
-Josh
AngieP
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Josh!
That approach makes perfect sense to me and I will do same. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I think I got hung up on trying to debug the one rule.
Angie
AngieP
Respected Contributor.