cancel

Database location of UI and DB rules

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Ben Little
Valued Contributor.

Database location of UI and DB rules

We are still using ServiceDesk 4.5 SP20, and are trying to output all of our UI and DB rules without cutting and pasting each of them.
I need to know where in the SERVICE or SERVICEREPO schemae I can find the UI and DB rules stored. If you already have the SQL handy, that would be great too.

8 REPLIES
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Database location of UI and DB rules

You do not need to copy and paste them one by one, on the DB rules in the Administrator Console, you can go to File> Export to export them to either Excel or HTML file.

On top of my head, I believe that the rules are stored under rep_javaobjects, try this query to get an idea:

Select ent_name, count(*)
FROM rep_javaobjects, ifc_entities
WHERE ent_oid = jav_entity
GROUP BY ent_name;

Points are welcome for suggestions/tips.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Ben Little
Valued Contributor.

That was the correct database location, just the data was encrypted/encapsulated and I can't report on it.
points awarded.
Any idea if that data is able to be translated into something approximating what we see in the rule itself?

The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes and no. The database rules are stored as serialized java objects. I guess it could be reverse engineered.
What would be the purpose of reporting on DB Rules?
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

I guess you could translate the output of that query, although it should involve a lot of work on your part or your DBA... not 100% sure, unfortunately, that is out of my reach!

Still, I understand that all you need is to output all your rules, maybe to a flat file?
If this is the objective then try the File> Export option to export them to either Excel or HTML file.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Ben Little
Valued Contributor.

report to get the manager of any assignment group that has a rule affecting them, for example. Or, using BusinessObjects, link the Organization to persons to get a list of all members of groups named in a rule, who might be affected by a rule change.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

I have to agree with Err that File > Export is the way to go.

After all, proper implementation normally involves DB Rules acting dynamically upon certain conditions. I rarely hardcode workgroups or names in the action of a rule.

Then again, if reporting through Business Objects is such a critical requirement, you can still use an Excel spreadsheet created through the File > Export utility as a data source.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Ben Little
Valued Contributor.

k, File -> Export doesn't work. All I get from this exporting to Excel, csv, word or tab delimited is :

'Name'
'Blocked'
'Condition'
'Actions'

headers with no data below it. I have done this with just the module (like Service Call) highlighted, as well as individual rules.
Ken Briscoe
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Ben,
Put the attached xsl definition into C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\service desk 4.5\client\repo\xsl\view

Then in the Rules display right click and select report format "Sorted Rules" then Preview. This will display all the rules in a nice format. "Publish" this into an html file using the Publish button.
Then you can open that file and copy/past into Word etc.

Alternatively, look up itsm007071 - it's a utility in SP22, not sure if in SP20, which deserialises all the rules and also checks them. Format not as good as "Sorted Ruled" format but has been useful.
My email is kenilian@bigpond.com.au