Database Rules and Relationship Types

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Envoy2064
Respected Contributor.

Database Rules and Relationship Types

Hi,
How can I set up a database rule within HPSD where the it is triggered for a CI when:

1. CI field XYZ changes and
2. CI has relationship type ABC with another CI?

Basically, I'd like the database rule to have a condition that checks the type of relationship as well as field values. Thanks!
8 REPLIES
Envoy2064
Respected Contributor.

Re: Database Rules and Relationship Types

10 points for whoever can respond to this question with satisfactory solution. :-)
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Hello,

I don't think that you are going to like the answer but here it is. You can't. At least not in OVSD 4.5 (and I think that the same stands in OVSD 5.x though I can't be sure)

The "relationship" through it seems straightforward actually it is an entity of its own. If only we could create db rules for relations...
menes fhtagn
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

George,

would it be possible using the WebAPI?

if so a rule could trigger for the condition CI field XYZ changes and the webAPI could be called to check CI has relationship type ABC with another CI?

If so it could be a lot of work to do this.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

However I just though of a work around...

Have a look at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1141699
and at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1137585
to see how you can present relations in an overview manner and how to permanently display them into the java client (OVSD 4.5 is required).

Using this tricks you can display only related items of particular relation type(s) and you can use the "update all" functionality.
menes fhtagn
Envoy2064
Respected Contributor.

Thanks. Yeah, if only we could do rules for relationships...

Do you have any idea how much change will future versions of HPSD's CMDB have? I'm thinking of writing an external script to do this, but not sure how much of the functionality should be "allocated" to HPSD interface and how much should be allocated to the external script.
George M. Meneg
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Again,

Mark is right. Using web-api you can do pretty much everything (or almost everything). But with the built-in functionality of OVSD 4.5 you can't.
menes fhtagn
Envoy2064
Respected Contributor.

Mark, George,

Hmm, the WebAPI angle is very interesting...will users see anything different if I use the WebAPI in the "middle" of the process? In other words, I wanted to make sure if I use WebAPI to check the relationship type, the functionality will be encapsulated and all the user would see is that certain fields have been changed as a result of the trigger + WebAPI function.
Mark O'Loughlin
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

there should be very little change after SP 20 due to the fact that only bug fixes are the only things being delivered in SP's (bar something major like the new Web UI).

So it probably depends on what SP you are on and if you will be upgrading to an higher SP in the future.