Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Database Rules Hanging

Highlighted
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Database Rules Hanging

Hello everyone,

I've had a re-occuring problem twice in the past three weeks where suddenly the database rules on my server stop executing entirely. The app server works fine otherwise -- just the db rules are affected.

I am able to solve the issue by restarting the app server, but of course the db rules that got backed up are then lost.

When the issue was occurring, I checked the "Scheduled Tasks" in the database, and they didn't seem out of control. Still, could a scheduled task get "backed up" and cause ALL db rules to stop in the queue as well? Can anyone think of another reason that this behavior might occur?

I would certainly appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Chris
16 REPLIES
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Database Rules Hanging

Chris,

I have seen this behaviour once on a Solaris app server that got swamped with mail (email loop) and the DB rules stopped working until a restart of the server. How many scheduled tasks are listed? Have a look at CPU usage around the time of the failure to see if there was excessive activity.
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks for the reply Jonathon. I usually see between 3 (on a weekend) to 20 scheduled tasks in the database. There's only one db rules that creates a scheduled task in our system -- I suppose I could live without waiting 24 hours to send a satisfaction survey, but it would be nice if that functionality worked as advertised.

As far as CPU utilization goes, it was strange -- the CPU on the app server was hovering between 1 and 2% at most. Generally there didn't appear to be anything happening, which is the opposite of what I'd expect if it was blocking up.

Thanks,
Chris
Jonathon Druce
Acclaimed Contributor.

The server log file shows nothing. The rule manager is the one that does this so there maybe something about that.
Stan Antonites
Super Contributor.

Chris

We have had similar problems recently and sometimes the logfile showed java.lang.OutofMemoryErrors. It started after many unused DB rules were deleted resulting in rule deserialization problems. HP provided a tool that we used to identify and delete these "hidden" rules that could not be deseriarilzed. SD4.5 SP7

Regards
Stan
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Nothing stranger than usual appears in the server log. The rule manager complains infrequently about one db rule trying to update the assignment with a person not in the current workgroup, so I can at least account for the error messages it's throwing, and there aren't that many.

I haven't deleted any db rules lately either, so I don't think that's a part of the issue. Still I may have to contact HP support again soon to see if there are any recommendations...

Thanks,
Chris
Wilfried Riegel
Respected Contributor.

I had the same problem when upgrading from sp12 to sp14.
Reason: we use some java-programs, and because they not contained "system.exit()", since sp13 they remained in the memory and after some time agent didn't work longer. There has been no message in the logfiles.

After changing the java-programs and recompiling it was ok.
wilfried
STEVE BECKMAN
Respected Contributor.

Which SP are you on?
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks again for the responses.

We aren't triggering any Java programs from Service Desk currently, but it's interesting to know that problem is out there. I'll keep it in mind.

We are currently on SP10. I am looking at SP16 as a possible upgrade, though I shudder at the thought of doing another upgrade with SD 5.0 so near.

Thanks,
Chris
STEVE BECKMAN
Respected Contributor.

We are on SP12 and have experienced some intermittent issues with DB rules not firing. What was strange for us was that it just started happening one day. We talked with support and they provided a Hotfix file for ITSM7202 which is in SP13.
http://openview.hp.com/ecare/getsupportdoc?docid=ITSM007202

Another change related to rules is ITSM006772 which is in SP11.

We are planning on moving to SP16 as well to hopefully make SD a little more stable.
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Steve,

That's very interesting. I was thinking the same thing as far as upgrading to SP16 to hopefully improve stability plus there are some date fixes from SP10 that I'd be glad to see, but I hate not knowing what's the cause of this db rule issue. (I worry it'll just crop up again unless I can explain it!)

I think I'm having a slightly different issue, because when these things hit, NO db rules run, period. I've also seen that issue where some db rules just seem not to run occasionally, but the server going haywire is my larger concern right now.

Thanks,
Chris
STEVE BECKMAN
Respected Contributor.

Chris - Did you ever get this issue resolved? We are still seeing intermittent issues where they don't fire. I've had a couple tickets open with support, but It's very difficult to capture any data on it. We aren't going to upgrade in 4.5; we are waiting on 5.10 before we do anything.
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Steve,

I eventually was forced to open a case with HP a month ago. The engineer was leaning towards Java memory issues with the server, which I thought I had already fixed. But, I went ahead with his ideas anyway, and I haven't had any problems for one month now. Which is better than the reliability I had been seeing, so hopefully we're on to something.

What I mean by Java memory issues is we had to go into the "installservice.bat" and "sd_server.bat" and update the memory sizes that Java uses when launching. I had already done this, but I may not have run the "reinstall_service.bat" to update the service afterward.. So far things have been working alright since making that change. If you want more details about the specific settings, let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
STEVE BECKMAN
Respected Contributor.

That sounds good, Chris. I have already done this to allow more memory to the processes. Did support offer information about how much to allocate? That was the part I wasn't clear on. Our servers have 8GB of RAM on them. I've got 5 App Server instances running on each with the following settings:
MaxNewSize: 333
NewSize: 167
XMS (Initial Heap): 500
XMX (Max Heap): 1000

I set the MaxNew and New values based on a 2/3 and 1/3 of the XMS value. I had read this on another forum post and an HP document. How was your set? I've got more RAM to spare so I could increase it if necessary.
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Steve,

I have never gotten clear guidance anywhere about how much memory is necessary with those settings. Basically, the only advice has been, "If you run into problems, increase the memory size." Not terribly helpful, I know.

I only have one app server on our box here, and the settings are at:

-XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xms200M -Xmx1000M

On top of that, I took it upon myself to schedule a restart of the app server service weekly since it's a short outage and load balances to the backup server if it runs into issues. So far the combo of the two seems to be working.

...And that's the state of my confidence in this application.
Aykut Guven
Honored Contributor.

Hello Chris,

This is a huge bug and there is no response since more than one year the first time I opened a similar case. Check for your scheduled jobs on SD server. If it is almost 1000 Scheduled jobs exits Rules are staring not to work until you flush all these jobs.
UPS
Chris Bailey_3
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello Aykut,

Initially I had tried clearing the scheduled tasks as well, but that didn't seem to be strong enough to clear things up. In the end I had to restart the app server service each time.

And, yes, I agree that there's a huge bug buried under here somewhere.

Thanks,
Chris