Service Desk Practitioners Forum
cancel

Data Exchange

Highlighted
Toyin_1
Regular Contributor.

Data Exchange

I am trying to import data from an Excel Spreadsheet into HPoV. The problem is when the xml file is generated, it truncates characters of fields that are more than 255 charaters. How can I overcome this issue. P.S. I am aware that Data exchange in Excel has known issues regarding characters higher than 255 xters.
6 REPLIES
Err_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Data Exchange

Well, since you already know the limitation with Excel and large files, the other option would be to manually edit the XML file.

Regards;
Randall Barrantes
SW Support Delivery Manager
Toyin_1
Regular Contributor.

Thanks for your response. The problem is I do not know how to edit the xml file or the config files for the import process. I have attached the config file as well as the DTD file which I believe defines the xml output. Every help will be much appreciated.
Toyin_1
Regular Contributor.

If anyone can help, i'm still looking for a solution to this issue. I have foiund that the issue arises from the XML Schema (a DTD file supplied with HPoV SD 4.5). The datatype setb for values in the DTD file is set to "STRING". From what i've been able to gather so far online, the Datatype of "STRING" in XML can only contain a maximum 255 characters.
My questions are:
1. Can anyone help to amend the DTD file such that a datatype that can take excess of 255 xters is defined.
2. Can I use another schema for that Data import (i.e a XML Schema)

I have attched the DTD file.

Thanks.
The Pike
Acclaimed Contributor.

Editing an xml file is as simple as opening it in a text editor, provided you understand it is markup language and know what you're doing.

If it's less than 10 entries that exceed the dreaded 255 character limit, I would do it manually. Otherwise, I'd start by reading about DTD, then figure out how to hack the Data Exchange task or have one of my minions do the leg work and insert whatever entries in the xml manually.

Hope this helps.
Points are welcome.

The Pike
Toyin_1
Regular Contributor.

Thanks Pike for taking the time to respond. However, the option of editing the generated XMl file is a non starter for me as it will be too cumbersome and will definitely not improve on the currentl manual entry into HPOV process.
Is it possible to upload into HPoV without using the DTD schema at all?
Toyin_1
Regular Contributor.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have now resolved the original problem. I found out that including the keyword DISTINCT in the SELECT statement causes fields longer than 255 characters to be truncated. So i just took out the DISTINCT keyword and bingo! Not sure why this is so though.